Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Secant or tangent Ogive

• Thank you received: 216

Secant or tangent Ogive was created by Libertarian623

I have been trying to find out why certain bullets do well out of my gun ( RRA LAR-8 ) and others do not rather than blindly buying bullets and testing at the range. I believe I found the paradox of semi-autos and bullets. The paradox has to do with the shape of the front of the bullet (Olgive) and COAL and magazine coal capacity. So semi-autos( AR or variant) have short magazines( they don't allow long bullets). Recent advances in bullet design have yielded bullets like the VLD Bergers and SMK, these have a secant Olgive ( means they need a long bullet to engage the lands and grooves of the barrel) But here's the paradox we cannot fully take benefit from a increased COAL because of our magazine dimensions, means that the bullet in a semi-autos will not be engaging the lands and grooves properly. By Contrast due to the tangent Olgive of a Nosler spritzer type bullet that can engage the lands and grooves more earlier at a shorter (COAL) that our magazines support because of its tangent olgive. IMHO this means that in general bullets with a secant Olgive will not fly as designed from my semi-autos until I get longer magazines or a redesign of the chamber(headspace). I think a very subtle change is all that's required, and as always I may be way over my head on the science here and be making bad assumptions. Anybody that cares to wade in is welcome.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Libertarian623. Reason: So it will add to the LAR-8 data here
10 years 5 months ago #30729

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Secant or tangent Ogive

That is a good summary of my understanding of the issue. The price we pay for having a 20 round mag is not being able to fully utilize the highest BC bullets available. The twist comes into play here as well. I think you can rule some bullets out from the start using this but nothing beats the actual testing in YOUR rifle.
I get lousy results with factory match ammo using the 175 gr. SMK but I got some nice tight groups with the same bullet in some lower power loads with the same COL I loaded myself. So many variables, so little time and money........... :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30731

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Secant or tangent Ogive

Thanks for wading in JT. I was reading some stuff that is really making my head hurt. Also got me thinking about getting a 338 lapua, to play with. I seem to be gravitating towards making longer and longer shots. Also while I am posting ( have been working like crazy, not by choice SAR) I did intend on taking that 1-1.2K shot in the next couple of days it was just put off due to work getting in the way of fun.
10 years 5 months ago #30763

Give this a look, got it on my dream list :pray: ;
www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=50A1...4c-ae1f-d045b91324c3

Supersonic up to 2,500 yards! I'm sure the ammo would drain the pocket fast but 338 Lapua is is not exactly cheap either.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30765

Thanks JT I had not seen that model. I had been hearing about the 416 but figured to wait awhile until someone else other than factory shooters wrote a review before passing judgement. BTW Ronnie should be classified a national treasure.
10 years 5 months ago #30769

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Secant or tangent Ogive

That thing is incredible.
I wonder if they`ll ever bring it on in a semi auto, or at least a clip feed bolt action.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 5 months ago #30771

Barrett does, the semi-auto;
www.barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

I didn't see any clip fed bolt gun yet but that can't be far off if the cartridge gains popularity. Here are some interesting comparisons with the .50BMG round;
www.barrett.net/ammunition/416barrett

Ammo is about $6.50 a shot though, better make it count!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30772

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Secant or tangent Ogive

That's the whole reason I want to try the Berger hybrid. It's benn making waves and sells out pretty quick.
bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/01/ber...at-you-need-to-know/

One of those simple "why didn't I think of that" solutions. I have yet to read a bad review.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
10 years 5 months ago #30773

So all that work on the 175 SMK's could be out the window! I'm going to keep my eyes out for these "hybrids". I usually scan right past the Berger's due to price but they sound like the ticket for our AR-10's and the restrictive COL on them.
Great explanation on the chart and the video, Thanks, Colt!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30776

:nicethread:
Colt thanks talk about good timing. This looks like the solution. This is what makes this site so good.
10 years 5 months ago #30789

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!