Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

• Thank you received: 62

Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo... was created by magi

I would like to buy four- 500 rounds maybe 1000.... of good general purpose 308 ammo...
If you could give me some qualified advice on a type..... and a seller that you think is good.... I'd really like that.....
I have a bunch of really good target ammo.... but I don't want to just burn it up plunking and learning to shoot... I would like something that would hit and group decently though.... not just junk......
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by magi.
10 years 2 months ago #34551

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

I had good luck with target sports USA. Free shipping on bulk purchases, and I got a heck of a deal on M118LR which is premium ammo. 85 cents a round. I have bought quite a bit from them. Privi partizan is good for the price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi
10 years 2 months ago #34553

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by SEMPERFIDOC on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

Also look on gun broker.com, sometimes you can find great deals on there.

DOC Jr
10 years 2 months ago #34554

Heres one setup:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392423254

price with shipping costs come out to 75cents/rnd

DOC Jr
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by SEMPERFIDOC.
10 years 2 months ago #34556

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

I have an 06FFL and could make the ammo you want to your specs.

If you have brass I can load it and send it back to you and the ATF won't make me pay the tax on it, so I give a cost break for both the cost of brass and the tax.

If you can provide projos or any other components I of course drop the cost for those too.

I have 1 lb of 8208 XBR on hand that I was planning on doing 308 load development with. I got it for $26/lb and was planning on pushing 147gn Nato Ball with it.

I think I have about 250ps LC 7.62 brass on hand.

I have no primers and no projos on hand other than the 208 Amax and 210 Berger I use for 300 RSAUM.

The best deals I have found are on gunbroker for projos and brass. Beware of hazmat (or lack of as it is required by law) for primers and powder on GB.

I'm stuck having to go to local stores to get decent deals on primers and powder. I'm too small to get the bulk order discounts major MFRs get and the Hazmat on small orders kills the price.

I base my pricing on what I spend on components + what the customer and I agree is reasonable on the order. I pay myself less than min wage when I price my ammo and cast lead products when I list them online, since I love what I do and I like repeat business.

If your interested I'll go hunting for powder and primers in my aria and have actual pricing on those.

I have a AR-10A4 16" carbine I can chrono the ammo from for velocity, accuracy and reliability testing, it has been sub zero with -20 wind chill factor out here lately so that may make it difficult to get good accuracy data but I need cold weather practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 2 months ago #34557

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

I use this site often;

ammoseek.com/ammo/308-winchester

There used to be lots of NATO surplus to choose from, sadly those days appear to be behind us :(
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 2 months ago #34560

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

Mag, I would got a mil spec in mil cans surplus ammo. Here is why: I used to work in the ammo business as in manufacture, retro fit etc. The way it works is there are massive contracts for ammo (5.56/7.62 NATO). Ammo is removed from storage and we have billions of rds in storage and sent to the units. New is sent to storage and you have an endless cycle. Sometimes ammo is pulled from storage and sold, sometimes its sent back out to be retrofitted. Who really knows the rhyme or reason, but my guess its costs.

Point being, mil spec stuff is well made and made to store for long time. I remember pulling ammo made in WWII out of storage for inspection and testing. If it fails in what is called 'surveillance' then its sold or sent to be worked over.

Mil Spec is good stuff, built to high standards and made to last (store for a long time).
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi, GhillieGhost
10 years 2 months ago #34563

Be careful and look close at the "mil spec" stuff. Many like federal use LC brass and military numbers but put an extra letter in it, they even sell it in a military looking ammo can. This usually means it hasn't been sealed up the same or didn't make the spec for some reason. I shoot the snot out of it but save the real deal for long term storage. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 2 months ago #34573

10 years 2 months ago #34576

Great outfit to deal with! :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 2 months ago #34578

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!