Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by GhillieGhost on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

absolutely correct Sis,, 2 totally different rounds,, if I'm gonging it at 600 - 700 ,, then yes I'm shooting the 168 hpbt ,,
if I'm running around a 3 gun course ,, or just a little tactical practice ,, CQC and such ,, then I waste the M80 ,,, All my 800+ shooting is done with the Savage 10T/LE in .308
NRA LIFE MEMBER
ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK FOUNDATION LIFE MEMBER
RMGO MEMBER
C.C.C.A. MEMBER

I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE FACT THAT IT WILL BE UP TO US TO SAVE THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON THIS PLANET,, LOCK AND LOAD ,, IT'S COMING !!!

.308 THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE
10 years 2 months ago #34637

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

No, but I've read good things on it. It uses the 175gr. match king and is supposed to be on the hot side. Cost wise it is about the same as other 175gr match stuff.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 2 months ago #34638

yep ,, M80 is either 147 gr or 149 gr and the M118 is 175 gr ,,typically ,,
NRA LIFE MEMBER
RMGO MEMBER
C.C.C.A. MEMBER

I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE FACT THAT IT WILL BE UP TO US TO SAVE THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON THIS PLANET,, LOCK AND LOAD ,, IT'S COMING !!!

10 years 2 months ago #34639

I was also reading up on the 118 ,, DAMN ,, I really want some to do some accuracy tests up against the 168 ,,, looking at ballistic coefficients on the 175 gr ,,,
" dad is it bad if I have an erection " .. " No son, it would be bad if you didn't "
NRA LIFE MEMBER
RMGO MEMBER
C.C.C.A. MEMBER

10 years 2 months ago #34643

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

There are a bunch of archived posts that discuss the M118LR. It is essentially the same as FEderal Gold Medal Match 175. I like it a lot, although it might be overkill in my Standard AR10 with a 1 in 11.25 barrel twist, Especially as I am not currently shooting 700 plus ranges. Reports are that Black Hills M118 clone is absolutely outstanding, though I have never used it. Now that I have my reloading press set up to clone it and fine tune the load for my personal weapon, that is what I am doing. Because Alliant has the contract to run Lake City Ammo plant, they are using Alliant Reloader 15 powder in the M118LR cartridge. From a temperature sensitivity standpoint there may be better powders to use, such as Varget. In Iraq it was found that wide temperature extremes had an effect on the M118LR performance. I believe the military has addressed this since with a new sniper round. For what I do I don't worry about it. If my life depended on it, I would worry a lot.
10 years 2 months ago #34646

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic Request advice... Purchasing bulk ammo...

Wow.... Lots of info here....... Thank you guys.... I'll save this thread fo reference....
10 years 2 months ago #34684

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!