Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

1000 Yard Ammo

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:1000 Yard Ammo

I agree that you should get into reloading. I'll cite three examples of why. 1)ALL facory ammo is made to within a tolerance. What this means is that all of the cases are sized in different dies, powders are dispensed from different feeders, bullets are seated in different dies to different depths. These tolerence variables add up in preventing ultimate accuracy. 2)About 10 years ago Lee Precision had a picture of factory 357mag ammo on its catalogue. Every thing I said above you could see with your very own eyes. Bullets seated with the cannalure deep in the case, some just barely having the cannalure inside. Some cases sized were you could see the base of the bullet expand the case, other not. Some with a tight roll crimp others not. 3) In Richard Lees book MODERN RELOADING II, he tells of a young man setting a world record using a modified ($16.00) Lee Loader that stayed in the Guiness book of world records for 7 years. Here's a freebie. Years ago I bought a fresh box of Winchster 9mm luger 115gr Sivertips. the advertised velocity was 1125fps (hot stuff!!). As I just bought a chronograph, I set it up and shot a random 10, 9mm rounds through it. What stays with me to this day is the fastest was 1301 fps and the slowest 998 fps!! average speed 1175fps (well within SAAMI spec) Do you really think that if you fired 10 rounds of factory ammo at a 1,000yds, you'll be able to put 10 holes on the paper at 1,00yds?? Using the 168gr bullets won't make it to 1K yds as they will be unstable at 800-1000yds. the lightest you can use is 175gr as it was designed to stay super sonic beyond 1k yds
Tom
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by lotoofla.
13 years 9 months ago #4527

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!