Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Weather conditions on shooting?

• Thank you received: 102

Weather conditions on shooting? was created by BUILDING MY SASS

Ok, I have read on how temperature and humidity can play a big part on the accuracy of a bullet. I know the warmer and thicker the air is the more effect on the BC it will have (I hope I put that right), but how does Cold effect the BC or just plain accuracy? Being I live in Nebraska, winter is finally starting to set in, being I am about to finish my first batch of reloads, I am just curious as to what to expect with the cold as having an effect on my shooting, rounds and gun.
I have to admit, I am somewhat a "fair weather" shooter, but I plan to change that this year, I am not going to sit all winter oiling my weapon and grinding my teeth....LOL.
So any input from you veteran shooters would be appreciated.
Thanks much.....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2346

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

I guess after what Zfk55 told me about shooting in the cold and getting out there, I will answer my own question.
Cold definitely does have an effect on shooting.....
It seemed after a few rounds it would come into the right grouping area, one the gun heated up....
I am perplexed as to why I was shooting six inches low, maybe it was me, to start. It is hard to imagine that the cold would have that much effect on the point of impact...
My scope was sighted in for 168 gr Hornady A-Max, and usually when I shoot the 150 gr I am an inch or two low...
I know it wasn't my scope, nothing has changed since September's shoot. Will have to figure this one out I guess..
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2362

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

BMS, how does all steel react to extremely cold temperatures? Particularly heavy barrels that act as heat sinks also can do the converse in very low temps.
You were shooting at 13 degrees, most certainly enough to cause the typical reaction of all steel to low temps and change the POI, and that would be typically lower because................... ?

zfk55
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by zfk55.
14 years 4 months ago #2367

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HardCase on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

Cold affects velocity somewhat, colder=slower, hotter=faster, and definitely has an effect on the metal parts too, but I'm thinking that 15 degrees isn't going to typically have too terribly huge an effect. I live and shoot in Montana and we don't give it a whole lot of thought.
14 years 4 months ago #2372

Sorry it took so long to get back to this....things have been hectic.
Z, I know what you are saying, that the cold contracts the steel and restricts the bullet thus slowing it which would lower the POI, but it was hard for me to believe that it would have that great effect on the POI. I guess you learn something new every day....Now I know.
The really weird part was, I ended up using my mil-dots to hit on target....the dot I was using would have been for a 200 yard shot on a warm day.....that is a big difference.
BMS

14 years 4 months ago #2373

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

Maby My thinking is bassakwards.LOL
When steel piping shrinks due to the cold the bore would actually get bigger as the shrinking steel would make the walls of the bore thinner.
Just the properties of steel. ; )
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by MrMarty51.
14 years 4 months ago #2377

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

Hardcase, we don't give a lot of thought to hunting rifles, but when it comes to load data development specifics it does make a significant difference at range.

And....... The entire barrel changes. Not just the OD. That changes measured velocities.
All of this only becomes critical in load data development. Not plain old shooting.
zfk55
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by zfk55.
14 years 4 months ago #2378

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

Every 50 deg drop in temp is like a 5000 ft drop in atitude, this is 1way to look at it. 90 deg to 20 deg can slow
the bullet 150fps or so. Scope hight over center will play more with this hot or cold weather than any thing else. The colder it is the slower the bullet is the less pressure it will build in the barrel. Hotter tighter faster. The brass takes the beating in these conditions for the barrel and action.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2386

Well between you and Z, it is nice to have the professional input and to know I am not loosing my mind......or my shooting ability.....LOL. Thanks....to the rest as well... I think actually I did quite well compensating on the shots, not knowing what the heck was going on.....at least fully knowing...LOL.

BMS

14 years 4 months ago #2390

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:Weather conditions on shooting?

mmsshh wrote:Now that is some good to know information.
I never thought the cold would affect a fire arms ability to put the shots where You are aiming.
Maby that is why i missed all them big bucks.LOL
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
14 years 4 months ago #2404

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!