Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Ammo to Avoid

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

I bought a box of Double Tap 168 grain match this weekend at the local range. I shot seven rounds before I had a feed failure. Upon inspection, I found a blown primer in my chamber, which prevented the locking lugs from engaging. I dropped the mag and opened up the rifle, and found two more primers in my lower receiver. I recovered six of the seven spent casings-couldn't find the seventh-and all six of the cases had empty primer pockets.

I didn't notice any apparent excessive recoil or any other indication that the rounds were too hot. I had fired several rounds of Black Hills Match in 175 grain, some M118LR, and some Remington Cor-Lock 150 grain as well. I didn't have any issues what so ever with any of the other ammunition.

Has anyone else even had any problems with Double Tap ammo?
12 years 10 hours ago #11387

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

Only seen it on other sites. Too expensive for me!
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 10 hours ago #11388

I put an email into Double Tap, letting them know about the issue on Sunday afternoon. As of this evening I've had no reply. The website advertises the ammo to shoot @ 2700 fps from and AR-10. I plan on shooting a few out of one of my bolt guns, just to see if I can rule out any gun issue. I really don't think my gun us the problem. I'm shooting a rifle length gas tube on an 18 inch barrel-if anything I've got less of a potential pressure issue than a standard AR-10. I think that either the primer pockets had been bored out too much, or the wrong sized primers had been used...but that is simply speculation at this point. What I can say for fact is that no primer sealer was used in any of this ammo, and that doesn't sit too well with me. This ammo sells at premium ammo prices, and is advertised to be premium ammo. I would say that not sealing the primers doesn't jive too well with that claim. I'm a guy that believes in the age old wisdom that one gets what one pays for...I would be more willing to except this sort of issue from some plinker grade bulk ammo, but not from someone who advertises a superior product for a superior price...I'm not going to let this go, so I'll keep you all posted on what I find out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
12 years 8 hours ago #11393

Makes no sense to me but cheap NATO surplus does the best for me, and the top so far is the Pakistani that I guess I'm not supposed to shoot. I got a deal on some "Match Grade" ammo and just doubled the size of the group! My rifle doesn't seem to like the heavier bullets as well as 150's, go figure.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 7 hours ago #11394

I wish I could be so lucky. I've tried some of the Paki stuff and my gun hates it...she's a high-maintenance girl, and only likes match grade ammo so far. I can get by with the Remington Cor Lock for hunting, but that's the only exception.
I'm pretty miffed about the Double Tap...wouldn't even make a hog's tooth out of it.
12 years 7 hours ago #11395

I'd keep pushing for an explanation from them. Your rifle is a bit more "tuned" but I swear they were trying to compete with FGMM in some advertising I saw. I've heard good things about some of their match ammo but I can't recall what box right now. I'm a bit be-dazzled by all the choices in ammo these days. Have you tried the steel match? They claim it does no harm but I'm waiting to see what others say first. I'm curios to start handloading some hevier rounds and see if I can do better, I like the idea of maybe hitting something at 800 yards but my head will grow if I do!
Give'm hell on those primers, that could have gotten expensive!
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 6 hours ago #11396

Well I took my FN SPR A3G out to the range today and fired five more rounds of this Double Tap box that had failed in my AR 10. I had no blown primers, but I didn't expect too...nowhere for them to go in a bolt gun. HOWEVER...upon closer inspection, I found carbon buildup and blowout originating from the primer pockets around the primer's edges on two of the rounds...the other three looked fine, but that is still unacceptable.

The manufacturer did finally respond to my email three days later, but only to request my telephone number so that his people could call me to discuss the problem further. I have since provided my telephone number twice, and as of yet have received no phone call...me thinks me's gonna track down their number tomorrow, and cut to the chase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cleandean
11 years 11 months ago #11463

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

The only time I've seen a backed out or blown primer it was a headspace problem. This is potentially dangerous. You might want to get the rifle checked by a gunsmith if for no other reason than you can tell DT it's not the problem.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 11 months ago #11464

I did indeed have the head space checked on my rifle, and it was still good to go. I've since fired over 100 rounds of other various loads through it with no failures.

I did get in contact with one "Robert" from the manufacturer of Double Tap this morning, and I am sufficiently impressed with their desire to correct this issue. One of his main concerns was that the majority of the ammo of the same lot number as my defective box was sent to a law enforcement agency for their SWAT guys, and it pleases me to know that these sorts of things are at the forefront of their priority list.

He intends to pull a few boxes from this lot and put it through a pressure barrel to see if it had been loaded too hot. In addition to that, they have agreed to send me a new box, which he said he will load himself, and asked that I give them feedback on it, so that they can tweak a load specifically for AR10 type rifles. I'm a bit apprehensive about putting any more of their ammo through my gun, but I agreed to it, so long as they load it a little lighter and work up from there.

I suppose I can't complain too much about the customer service...I just hope that the end result turns out to be a better product, and not an exploded rifle.

I'll keep you all posted.
11 years 11 months ago #11465

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by dreamAR10 on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

Broke mine in today on Winchester Power Points 150gr and Winchester Power Max bonded 150 gr. Both shot fine
11 years 8 months ago #11996

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!