Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ar10(t) upper identification.

• Thank you received: 0

ar10(t) upper identification. was created by controls2750

This may seem like a dumb question but the ar10(t) i own doesn't feed when I pull the charging handle. If i load 1 round manually and fire it works great. Also is there a way to check to see if I have the right ammo. There are no markings I can see on the upper. I am sure it is there somewhere. Any Ideas as to why I am having this issue, and where I can look on upper. Thanks. email me directly as well. Thanks

controls2750@cox.net.
15 years 7 months ago #271

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:ar10(t) upper identification.

It could be a problem with the magazines. Let me understand your problem better. You pull the charging handle back and let it go and it does not catch a round and chamber it? Or when you pull the charging handle back the bolt does not come back far enough to allow the next round to come up?

You might want to check the following:
1. Make sure the bolt is coming back far enough to allow the next round to pop up.
2. If the mags are bad M14 conversions they may not be in the correct position. So make sure you are using genuine magazines.
3. Get some factory .308 ammo and see how it feeds.

Keep us posted!
15 years 7 months ago #275

Replied by controls2750 on topic Re:ar10(t) upper identification.

When I pull charging handle the bolt does not seem to come back far enough to catch round. Weapon cycles great through a magazine when first round is chambered. Thank you for your response.
15 years 7 months ago #277

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:ar10(t) upper identification.

What make and model do you have? (I know you say a AR10T in your original post, but I have actually heard once were a DPMS LR with a 24" barrel was described as a AR10T so I'm just making sure - no offense intended). Was it purchased new? Any modifications made to the rifle that you are aware of? What type of ammo? Do you lube the bolt and carrier heavily before attempting to fire it? The latter is apparently critical according to most AR10 owners with experience until you have the rifle broken in - 500 rounds or more imo. Some people also recommend a heavier gun grease product be used on a AR10 instead of CLP or similar lubricant. Does the bolt retract fully and remain locked and open with a empty magazine inserted in the rifle? What type of magazines? Armalite has Gen.1 and Gen.2 mags plus there has been many home conversions done on M14 mags for AR10s in the past, some done better than others.

Let's get the basics answered first and then we might be able to help. In addition, please take your time and be as specific as you can in answering the above questions.
15 years 7 months ago #279

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:ar10(t) upper identification.

Have you replaced the butt stock with an after market version? It could be that the buttstock is not allowing the bolt carrier to come back far enough. Like AAZM said if you can not lock back the bolt then there is something getting in the way.
You could have an after market AR-15 butt stock on an AR-10 which can cause problems. As the AR-10 charging handle needs to travel farther back to accomodate the larger bolt carrier, etc.
15 years 7 months ago #280

I was told by the original ower that it is an Armalite AR-10(t). It has an eagle arm lower. I did not purchase this new, if fact it was part of a payment on a motorcycle I sold. I have only put 100 rounds through it, I know the original owner did not use much. Break in is probably part of the issue. Since my last trip to the range I have installed a match trigger, a magpul buttstock, and a badger ordanance hand guard. I hope to take it out this weekend. We will see. I use 308 win. I have not purchased any magazines. One 8 round armalite mag was in it. I have owned many ar-15 rifles but never this type, so no offence taken. Is there a way to verify the upper? It does lock back when empty. Thanks for you help and suggestions.
15 years 7 months ago #283

15 years 7 months ago #284

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:ar10(t) upper identification.

8 rounds sounds like an oddball size for an AR-10 magazine. AR-10s do lock open (I say AR meaning Armalite) after the last round if they have the correct magazine.

Is the gun itself stamped as AR-10(T)? Any chance you could get a picture of the top/back side of the magazine?
15 years 7 months ago #290

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!