Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Favorite .308 ammo?

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Favorite .308 ammo?

I have used African surplus, Winchester White box, American Eagle, and a host of other 'plinking' type ammo. All has worked well for its intended purpose.

For accuracy, I prefer my reloads. But Federal 175gr match has performed well for me. I've had varying degrees of success with Black Hills.
13 years 8 months ago #4914

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by prbc4 on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

I am about 200 rounds into my ar10t. I have tried Horn. max n tap 168 match(40rounds), federal gm 168 match (60rounds),american eagle fed. 20 rnds, ultra 168match bthp (60 rounds), and rem. 150 cl.... 100 yds with irons, I have a system in which I switch the ammos orders when i go to the range and i only shoot 30 or 40 a trip. So far i am very impressed with the ultra max, it is consistant (it is cheap) and although it has produced my only jam so far:( it has produced my best target so far. I know this is not by no means alot of rounds, it is just my start of narrowing down some brands for my gun. I just purchased 80 rounds of hsm 168 and some more hornaday. Hsm I picked up for 21 and change from able ammo, and federal for only 22 a box from ctd. I look at it like a 40 dollar trip to the range...still cheaper then the wifes trip to the salon:blink:
13 years 1 month ago #6974

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Lazerus2011 on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

My Rem R25 has a 1/10" twist, and a fluted 20" barrel.
It shoots most of the ammo I've tried pretty good.
100 yd 4 shot groups [ Stupid #$%%^% 4 rd Rem mags ].

Hornady 168 Gr HPBT - 5/8"
Fed 168 Gr HPBT - 3/4"
Imperial 110 Gr - SUB-MOA
Winchester 200 Gr Silvertip soft points - SUB-MOA
PRVI 146 Gr BALL - 1 1/4"
Fed Blue Box 150 Gr SP - 1 1/2"
Hirtenberger 7.62 NATO BALL - 2 1/4"
South African 7.62 NATO BALL - 4"

Still have some others to try:
Fed 165 Gr SPBT - recommended by a friend who is a SWAT sniper
Win 150 Gr SP

PS: with an old GENUINE Sudanese AR 10, Canadian DCRA issue DA 7.62 NATO Miloitary Ball ammo, and iron sights, I shot a 5 rd group at 600 yds that you could cover with a regular size sheet of paper. BUT, the 168 GR HPBT ammo shot the same range session were all over the place.
Go figure??
13 years 1 month ago #6985

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tankcity43 on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

.308 Military Spec ammo, PMC's Bronze Line #308B, brass case 147 grain Full Metal Jacket round. These rounds are loaded in Korea to exacting military specifications, and we have used and sold PMC ammunition now for almost 30 years. The company makes excellent hunting, practice, and M&P grade ammunition of all kinds. This round pushes the Boat-tail bullet out of a 22 barrel, in anything from a Savage 111 to a Super Match M1-A, at 2780 feet per second and delivers over 2500 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. We're offering it by the box of 20 rounds, each for only $ 13.67. Buy the case, 25 boxes = 500 rounds, $350.00 delivered freight paid to any destination in the lower 48 where ammunition is not prohibited. 2% discount, $343.00 delivered, if paid by USPS Money Order & not credit card.

Anybody shoot these before? im looking for some cheap ammo to stock up on. i understand that they may not be the best for accuracy but good for just unloading clips and having fun shootin.. if anyone knows about these let me know what u think. Or if u know of a better deal on decent ammo. I wont shoot steel case or soft points tho..

OH yeah also wanting to know about American Eagle ammo? Any good or bad things about them.. Thanks for any info..
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by tankcity43.
12 years 1 month ago #10799

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

Has anyone compared Federal 175gr with Lake City M118LR?
Does either have an accuracy advantage in the same rifle?
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
12 years 1 month ago #10821

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

Considering that the Sniper School in Atterbury uses the LR exclusively, that might help with your decision? :)
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 1 month ago #10822

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Re: Favorite .308 ammo?

Yep,........I've got a few rounds on hand. B)
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
12 years 1 month ago #10823

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!