Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New From Hornady....

• Thank you received: 102

New From Hornady.... was created by BUILDING MY SASS

Check it out all....Hornady has gone STEEL....at last the best is giving us some GOOD steel cased Ammo to shoot with....can't wait till it is released.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: B)
give a look... :)
BMS

It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 5 months ago #5866

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:New From Hornady....

Hmmm, I wonder if Wolf is making it for them?
13 years 5 months ago #5873

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by maddyn on topic Re:New From Hornady....

hmmm, good idea when you think about it, curious how well it performs
13 years 5 months ago #5874

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New From Hornady....

Maddyn....they are saying it has the same performance as the "Brass" loads....Still trying to find a release date....and cost of course...

Edge----Hmmm, I wonder if Wolf is making it for them?

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :unsure: :P

Not the "W" word..... :dry:
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 5 months ago #5879

yeah, they can say it performs like brass, but it wouldn't be a good marketing department if they said, "well most of the time it works, except in these cases" ;) That being said, I can't really remember my SKS ever having problems with steel cased ammo. I think it's a good idea, can't wait to try some out. If I can get 9mm for $10 a box cheaper it would make going out a plinking that much better
13 years 5 months ago #5882

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New From Hornady....

I agree on the price.....I can get TULAMMO for 4.97 per 20 in .223 but I won't use it in my M-15....So I hope it is a fair price...I can get Federal .223 55 FMJ for 40 bucks a box of a 100 and 150 gr .308 or 15 a box for plinking ammo....so we will see... :unsure:
As for the SKS or AK....it is well know that those weapons will chamber just about anything you put in them.....Not so with the HIGHER quality ArmaLites...well at least that is what I think any way.... :dry:
BMS

13 years 5 months ago #5890

I've never had a problem shooting Wolf. It actually works well. Hornady's statement that 'it performs like brass' is interesting. I would say that yes you can get accuract loads out of steel cases, but steel does not expand like brass. (unless they've come up with some sort of mild steel that mimicks brass expansion).

And this is where the problem is with steel cases. If your going to shoot steel cases, then stick with the steel cases. If you go from steel to brass, you are going to have problems. The reason being is, like I said earlier, steel does not expand like brass, and thus burnt powder residue has a tendency to escape back into the chamber because of this. Thus you get a build up. This is no problem if you stick to just steel cases, but once you switch over to brass, then you get stuck cases. Because the brass expands and gets stuck in the "goop" of the burnt powder. Usually it takes 3 shots of brass to clean this out, or you need to clean it out with your normal cleaning proceedures before shooting brass reliably.

I have no issue shooting the steel cases. Done it for years with no issues, other than mixing the brass cases with steel.
13 years 5 months ago #5894

One other thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see more manufacturers come out with steel cases. Brass is becoming expensive!!
13 years 5 months ago #5895

yeah tell me about it, did some waterline work for my Dad over the last couple years, you wouldn't believe what brass fittings go for these days... there was quite a few times I only got a few fittings and it was $60+ ugh

Edge wrote:
13 years 5 months ago #5903

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!