Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Steel cased ammo???

• Thank you received: 0

Steel cased ammo??? was created by Blaznhale

Any recomendations about using steel cased ammo in ar-10 type rifles??
...ex. wolf 150 gn. $8.88 a box??:unsure::angry: :unsure: :angry: :unsure:
15 years 4 months ago #745

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Steel cased ammo???

I haven't tried any in my Armalite AR10B, so I'm reluctant to comment. However, the reason I now own this rifle is because the guy who originally bought it returned it to the dealer with his first and only round of Wolf steel cased .308 stuck firmly in the chamber. The dealer removed it, but the buyer wanted his money back if it wouldn't shoot the cheap steel cased ammo. Armalite told the dealer to never use the Wolf steel ammo in it. The dealer refunded his money, and sold it to me. I'm having no problems with it. My conclusion so far is that the AR10B I have has a very tight "match" chamber. I find it necessary to use handloads that are resized to minimal dimensions. The steel cased stuff is coated with lacquer to prevent corrosion, and that seems to "grab" the chamber walls and inhibit chambering and extraction. At least that's my guess. Needless to say, I've decided not to use any steel cased ammo in it, nor in my other 7.62 M1A. Other AR10 shooters may have other experiences, but that's my conclusion. If you decide to try it, at least buy a small amount to test before you spring for a full case.
15 years 4 months ago #747

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Steel cased ammo???

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:35 AM
To: info
Subject: Ammo;

I know you people are real busy, so I'll make it short.

Will the steel casings of Wolf ammunition have any adverse affect on my AR-10 A4 C?

Yes, the steel casing will scratch the chamber of the barrel as it doesn
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 11 months ago #1377

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!