Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Good ammo for stock pilling/plinking

• Thank you received: 0

Good ammo for stock pilling/plinking was created by aceofspades991

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some bulk ammo for stock piling and plinking. I'm not looking to shoot super tight groups, just add to my stash and familiarize myself with the gun without breaking the bank.

I've been looking into www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=545035 , its about the right price, under a different thread regarding ejected brass, "Bluegrassdan" said

"Just a thought, but one I have dealt with before, check the gas tube opening diameter on the chamber side. If your getting more gas into the system, the buffer is going to suffer and the ejection cycle is going to be rougher. This is sometimes caused by shooting really hot loads or crappy surplus (machine gun ammo)that is going to wear out the ID of your gas tube, causing harder ejection, that will cause a dent in cases."

Is that the case with ALL machine gun ammo? other then wearing the gas tube, does this negatively effect the riffle?

Do any of you know of alternative ammo that fits the criteria above?

Ace
12 years 6 months ago #8861

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Good ammo for stock pilling/plinking

I have two cans of nearly the same stuff. I have 87/90 where the link shows 90/90, the headstamps might be the same,mine is POF 90 7.62x51. Internet sources say this was made to British specs under their supervision. I have had no reliability issues. I don't have a chrono but the point of impact change was very minor, shoots the same as the cheap 150 grain remington stuff.
I know Armalite does not approve of surplus ammo but I spent a bunch of time reading first hand accounts on different gun boards and found that some lots get no complaints. Some lots stood out as ones to stay away from, I don't recall the dates but some of the Pakistani POF marked stuff and some Indian gets thumbs down from all reviews. Even horror stories about blown up rifles and lost digits.
The determining factor for me was the fact my local dealer recommended it. He is the one that talked me into spending a little more and getting an Armalite so I've learned to trust him.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 6 months ago #8863

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by aceofspades991 on topic Re: Good ammo for stock pilling/plinking

Cool, thanks for the info.

How about the FAME S.A.C ammo? Is reloadable and according to the link, built to nato specs. www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=720300

Also, is there a general thing to look for when buying bulk ammo? My main concern is that I don't want to damage the gun by shooting junk ammo.
12 years 6 months ago #8865

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: Good ammo for stock pilling/plinking

Man you may want to check with www.wepaonswharehouse.com They have some good deals and not bad on shipping.
12 years 6 months ago #8893

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!