Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

• Thank you received: 0

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips was created by 1LTChap

Anyone familiar with the 308 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 168 gr ammo? I have a box. Is case steel?
12 years 3 months ago #9686

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

It is brass but nickel plated. The nickel plating helps with corrosion resistance.

I LOVE the Ballistic Silvertips. My AR-10(T) shoots under 1/2 MOA with them at 200 yards.

I really like the moly coating and for factory ammo it really does the trick in my rifle. I tested just about everything that came in a box and was surprised that it would out shoot Black Hills BTHP
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1LTChap
12 years 3 months ago #9690

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Deenerman on topic Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

I just finished up a box of these shells ......they are fantastic in my opinion.....They have been my main hunting round for the past several years.....I have a 150 & a 140 class trophy buck I am looking at right now in my office thanks to these bullets. Not to mention a nice black wild bore that I popped over thanksgiving. I do not reload......I thought the shell case's were polished metal.....not steel......they are expensive ammo.....but.....worth it!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1LTChap
12 years 3 months ago #9699

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by 1LTChap on topic Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Many thanks for the info. I got suckered into buying a box of Hornady Steel Match rounds and only after buying them contacted Armalite tech to inquire about using steel cased ammo. Read one of the stories here about jamming, and since this is a virgin rifle, didn't want to do anything lastingly stupid. Tech pretty much said, steel is hard, brass is softer. Do what you want. You're on your own. Thus the trepidation about the Winchesters. I've used the nickel plated Remington Premium Safari loads in my Weatherbys with good results.
12 years 3 months ago #9704

They are my favorite round. I can't say enough good things about them. I head shot a fox at 384 yards with it and toasted this groundhog at 110 yards.

I also brought down a really nice 10-pointer on the run at 90 yards. It fell after 1 stride.

I can honestly say I've never had a misfeed, and hit everything I've aimed at.

Going to test them at some longer ranges here soon.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by mlotziii.
12 years 2 months ago #10538

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Stock up on Ballistic Silvertips!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

12 years 2 months ago #10539

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!