Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Gun Safes

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by ghostdance56 on topic Gun Safes

Don't use desiccant!! My brother had a house fire. The heat caused the desiccant to expel its moisture and other chemicals. His guns looked worse than being in the ocean for 20 years!! The heat didn't bother the guns.
9 years 5 months ago #42779

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Gun Safes

Good to know. I have a dehumidifier in the room that I run regularly at max to reduce moisture. My old safe room had a natural gas boiler in it which took all the moisture out!
9 years 5 months ago #42781

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic Gun Safes

Thanks for that! I don't use desiccant and now know that I never will.

But the safe's fireproof! :lol:
9 years 5 months ago #42782

• Thank you received: 14

Replied by R6600DH on topic Gun Safes

The main thing I had to think about was portability. If you have easy access, no problem. In my case, I needed to put mine in a sub basement. 2 floors below the main level. Most safes are not user friendly. I had two flights of stairs and short right turns to deal with. The safes that I needed (or wanted) for my guns were all too large and heavy for me to negotiate around my house. I did some research and found the perfect solution. www.zanottiarmor.com . Zanotti Armor. These guys make handmade high quality portable safes. These won't fit in your briefcase, but they do come in pieces. You assemble them one piece at a time. They have several models and colors to fit your needs. They also do custom builds. The great thing is that they are made in Waterloo, Iowa USA. I picked the model I wanted, put down a small deposit and they made it for me. This thing rocks! If you can imagine a full size safe cut in pieces, this is it. You assemble it one piece at a time. You can put it anywhere. These safes are also great for people that move often. I have had it for 3 years now and love it. It comes with access for electricity and networking. I have a dehumidifier in mine and it works great. Make no mistake, this is not a cheap lightweight POS. I highly recommend these to everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai, jtallen83, Siscowet
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by R6600DH. Reason: add
9 years 3 weeks ago #44482

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by dm1911 on topic Gun Safes

you would be amazed at how fast a burglary team cam move a safe.

make sure you bolt it down!
9 years 3 weeks ago #44495

Great point! This is a must. The Zanotti safes also come with holes in the bottom for anchoring into concrete or wood.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44500

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Dobber3030 on topic Gun Safes

I have a gray Winchester safe from Tractor Supply and like it a lot.
I also have a "Stack-On" safe I bought from Menards. The Stack-On is also waterproof.
If you can wait, they usually have pretty good sales at different times throughout the year where ever you decide to go.
And funfred is 100% spot on, they only fit half as many firearms as they advertise.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44588

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by 30CalFun on topic Gun Safes

It is probably too late for any additional comments, but here is my 2 cents. I bought a Ft. Knox safe. It had better steel, locks, plates, hinges, etc. than most others I looked at. Not sure if it is water proof but it is all one piece, except for the door. You can also bolt it to the floor.
9 years 1 week ago #44662

Ft. Knox safes are excellent. I looked at them before purchasing. 30 Cal, it's never too late to add to a conversation. I have been spending more time on here lately and am adding to threads that are months or years old. I usually get replys. Good talking with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 30CalFun
9 years 1 week ago #44665

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic Gun Safes

I have been needing a gun safe for a long time. We recently moved and now seems to be the right time. So I went looking trying to find something that met my criteria and budget. I finally found one that I am going to pull the trigger on.

It is a Safe Guard GX41 with the gloss black finish, measuring 40 x60 x 29, with the standard combination lock. $1900 including tax, delivery and installation in the home. Compared to other deals and the features, this seems like a pretty good deal. Lots of nice feature, 1350 degrees for 60 minute, recessed 7/16 inch door edge, ball bearing external hinges, steel reinforced upper shelf, door pockets and heavier than most steel. Weight is 830 pounds. Supposed to hold 53 long guns but I realize they never hold what they claim. The door is held by 14 active one inch I have 30 and a number of pistols and revolvers so I expect his will be just large enough.

I hadn't heard of Safe Guard before but are from Provo, Utah. They claim to be all American products but don't specifically say where they are made. I did like the fit and finish on it, noticeably better than the Liberty Fat Boy that I have been looking at. It also beat the Fatboy on just about every other feature too. Lifetime warranty for everything but the lock.

Justifying the cost was pretty easy. I started adding up the price of the guns and didn't get very far to exceed the price of the safe.
8 years 10 months ago #45279

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!