Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Free floating vs drop ins

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by pookybear308 on topic Free floating vs drop ins

I give up! Trying to communicate on this site by Android ain't worth the grief! I'll try again from home. :-(
10 years 10 months ago #24438

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Free floating vs drop ins

Much easier, with the Ar10's, the factory has a "carbine" and a "rifle" length gas system.
The rifle uses a 12" hand guard, think AR10T, gas block exposed at the end of the free float tube.

It really depends on the barrel you decide to use. There are rifle, carbine and mid-length gas system barrels available. You also need to factor in if you want the gas block exposed or if you want to use a low profile and have it covered.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: P1445
10 years 10 months ago #24440

How about this guess: it's not the barrel length so much as where the gas port is located? And would shrouding the gas block be in circomstances where all of your sighting devices are on the upper and handguard? So a 13.5" free floater is for a low profile gas block, right?
I'll get this...I know I will! :-)
10 years 10 months ago #24448

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Free floating vs drop ins

Correct..........it is best to keep an optic mount, red dot or scope, on the upper receiver.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 10 months ago #24449

OK, it's getting clearer by the...post.
What I had envisioned was a 20" Armalite light tapered barrel(on it's way, used) with iron sights and a free float handguard. My theory is that the front iron sight should be on the barrel where it can move with any heat warping(should that be an issue). Optics will come later mounted on the upper, probably a red dot.
So a 12" handguard is appropriate for this combo? I'm liking the description of the overmolded Hogue handguard...any opinions or comments?
10 years 10 months ago #24486

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Free floating vs drop ins

Yep. You've got it right regarding the length. :)

I haven't used a Hogue AR handguard, but I did have a Hogue over-molded stock on my FN Patrol Bolt Rifle. It was very comfortable in the hands and isn't prone to slippage. If you plan on having your support hand on the front handguard a lot, then it's probably a very good choice.
10 years 10 months ago #24505

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!