Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

• Thank you received: 2

Free Float Handguard locking ring removal was created by JQuinnan

I bought an Armalite AR-10T back in 1999. Did the break in process and a little target shooting and it's been in the safe for the most part since then. I tend to shoot 5.56 and handguns. This is a great looking gun with the 20" SS barrel and I decided to update it recently in hopes of getting it out and enjoying it some. I added a magpul stock and pistol grip. These are great and I've decided to add a bipod - as I'm mostly bench shooting. Picked up a Harris bipod and it attached easily to the factory sling stud..with one problem. This sling stud in not at 6 o'clock! I ordered this rifle new from the factory and I am the only holder, so it left the factory this way. I looked at the manual and a post on here, but am hoping for some more detail in this handguard removal / timing or alternatives to mounting this bipod. So, it appears to be a fiberglass handguard. I understand that the locking ring should turn counter-clockwise when viewing from the stock to the muzzle. I understand the guard should not rotate, only the locking ring. I have a rubber coated strap wrench which gets a good bite, but with enough torque, it's starting to come apart and the locking ring won't rotate counter-clockwise (yet). I'm considering PB Blaster and / or some heat, but I'm not familiar with the materials used and would like to get some experienced input before proceeding. It's likely expensive to ship back to Armalite, although, I would argue they should cover the cost, given it came this way..albeit 15 years ago..
I'm in Raleigh, NC and am open to taking it to a shop, if they have experience with these.

9 years 6 months ago #42036

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

I recently had a similar problem with a complete upper from ArmaLite. The top rail did not line up with the receiver. They sent me a shipping label and had it back to me in about 10 days, no charge!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 6 months ago #42041

Replied by JQuinnan on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

I took it by a gun smith this afternoon and he advised that I contact Armalite support first - as it left the factory this way. We will see what they say. I guess this will be the 15 year in test of customer service. Hoping for the best as we have three Armalites in the family.
9 years 6 months ago #42050

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

A lifetime warranty should be a lifetime warranty. Let us know what their response is.
9 years 6 months ago #42057

Replied by JQuinnan on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

I emailed Armalite Customer Service and they responded with an RMA. I bubble wrapped the heck out of the upper and sent it via FedEx. They got it on a Weds and had it out Thursday morning. It made the round trip in 9 days, so I am very pleased. The hand-guard is now properly indexed and the bi-pod fits well. I'm very excited to get it out on the range to try it out. I'm happy to find there is still a company that stands behind their product and understands customer service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, jtallen83
9 years 6 months ago #42328

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

Glad they got it "straight" for you :twothumbs:
Looking forward to your range report now, it should be a real shooter.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 6 months ago #42331

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

Glad to hear it all worked out so well! Thanks for sharing your experience.
9 years 6 months ago #42332

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Free Float Handguard locking ring removal

Nice to hear, glad Armalite took care of you. Good shooting. :twothumbs:
9 years 6 months ago #42333

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!