Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR 10 SQUARE free floating hand guards

• a Guest
  • a Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

AR 10 SQUARE free floating hand guards was created by a Guest

I want a free floating round cornered square alloy hand guard for my DPMS built Remington R25 shorty project. Unfortunately this particular R25 is one of the newer models with the lower rail height on the upper. This rail height does NOT interface with the old DPMS rail height, for which Badger Ordnance used to make a very nice square rail.

SO,
I guess I have to build my own AR 10 square handguard. I have been thinking about simply machining the outer threads on the DPMS free float barrel nut just a tiny bit deeper, and almost all the way to the back of the nut. That way, I get greatly improved bearing surface and strength at this critical connection. Then a simple round solid alloy block, with the inside milled out to accept the square alloy tubing, a few bolts, some loctite, a few rails, and VOILA ... I've got what I want.

I have both 2" and 1 1/2" alloy tubing available right now. 2" round cornered alloy tubing feels too fat in my hand, and unless I mount the tubing OFF CENTER, offset downwards, with the gas tube protruding through to the underside of the top rail, it would be much too high to co-witness with the original upper receiver rail. I like the feel of smaller and lighter weight 1 1/2" round cornered square tubing, and this size would give a better front rail match, but this size tubing [ 1.25" ID ] gets tight. Ideally 1 3/4" tubing with .010" wall thickness would work best but I can't find anything like that locally in small pieces.

Any feed back on this concept would be appreciated, especially from any one who has BTDT with making their own AR 10 handguards.
thanks
LAZ 1
13 years 2 months ago #6729

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:AR 10 SQUARE free floating hand guards

Hi Laz,

Great concept! I've only ever drawn up a few concepts in AutoCAD. Never actually machined a free float tube. What you're saying makes sense. Too bad you can't find the 1-3/4" stock.

I have the Badger Ord free float tube and it has been great. But you do have a bit of a dilemma.

Hopefully as that AR-10's become more and more in demand more manufacturers will product accessories for them.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how this works out for you.

-M
13 years 1 month ago #6840

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!