Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Putting together tool kit for AR10

• Thank you received: 0

Putting together tool kit for AR10 was created by NMcoyote

I am a newbie to the site. I also just finished putting together AR10 lower but do not have all the tools for a complete assembly (upper, barrel, etc). Is there certain standard tools that are essential for working on uppers? Who carries reasonably priced tools and equipment for AR10 work?
13 years 2 months ago #6587

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Putting together tool kit for AR10

WELOME TO THE GROUP!!!! I would try and talk to BMS(building my sass). I would also look on midway usa.
13 years 2 months ago #6601

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:Putting together tool kit for AR10

A lot of this is going to depend on how you want to build your rifle.

Do you want to free float the hand guard?

If not, regular M15 armorer tools will do the trick. For ArmaLite specific rifles you may want to check out there web site to get the upper receiver blocks though.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
13 years 1 month ago #6657

Replied by NMcoyote on topic Re:Putting together tool kit for AR10

Thank you mrraley and donkey. I would like to be able to tackle a free floating barrel. I have another AR with free float already on it and it is a tack driver, so I defineately want to go that way. I have looked at sites like midway and brownnells. Both have good stuff, but haven't decided what I need vs. what I want for tools. Thanks for the tip to go to BMS as that is a wealth of info.
13 years 1 month ago #6683

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:Putting together tool kit for AR10

Brownells has complete kits that you can look through. All the way from field kits to advanced armorer kits in big boxes.

But for the ArmaLite free float wrench, I will say go to ArmaLites web site. The reason I say this is because the M15 and the AR10 free float barrel nut is diferent on both. The regular barrel nut will use the same wrench, just not the free float wrench.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
13 years 1 month ago #6688

Its a good tip to know. Ill pinch some pennies and nickles my next paycheck and get one. Thanks.
13 years 1 month ago #6813

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Putting together tool kit for AR10

mrraley wrote:
Mrraley....won't the prongs on the back side of the Smith Enterprise wrench work...Dave in the Armory sent me one once...when I was trying to adjust my barrel nut...

NMcoyote Welcome to the site...sorry have been in and out for awhile....One thing that was not mentioned was for building a rifle is a set of "vice blocks" for the upper receiver...Do not attempt any barrel work with out them...there is a way but I won't say it...LOL....any way...as Mr R stated early on...what tools are needed depends on the level of need...
Vice blocks
Barrel nut wrench
Stock wrench
punches
needle nosed pliers
Allen wrenches.
of course screw drivers, ;)
Crescent wrench..
I think that about some it up...or at least the extent of mine anyway...
Here is the barrel nut wrench that I use and was told that the factory smiths use...
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productd...=851115001aa&s=31094

of course there are many other tools that gun smiths use so more investigation may be warranted...
I would also contact ArmaLite to double check if there are any special tools needed...
Hope it helps....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 1 month ago #6826

I will definately start looking around for vice blocks. Since I haven't done a complete build yet - are the needle nose pliers for a specific task or a miscellaneous tool?
13 years 1 month ago #6848

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!