Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

• Thank you received: 1

Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better? was created by gungrinner

I always tend to use duracoat. So far ive had good luck with duracoat. What does everyone use and what are your field experiences with the two products and which of the two do you prefer?
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by gungrinner.
12 years 8 months ago #8366

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Cleandean on topic Re: Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

Duacoat RECOMENDED BY THE X-SNIPER ON THE FN SCAR 17S FORUM. NOT FOOLIN' .
Last edit: 12 years 4 weeks ago by Cleandean.
12 years 1 month ago #10922

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

Well, if an "ex-sniper" recommended it... then that's it! :laugh:
For us, it's duracoat. We've done a number of them now but I can't find the newst photos.I do have this one from last year. Went on quick and smooth.
It took some cahones to do the Premier Heritage scope, and I won't say I wasn't nervous about it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 1 month ago #10926

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Cleandean on topic Re: Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

LOOKS LIKE A SMOOTH , UNIFORM [PRO] JOB.
12 years 1 month ago #10927

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by gungrinner on topic Re: Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

man that scar 17 looks awesome! I will tell ya i had recently restored a glock 19 that was sitting in a plastic bag for 2 years in a wood shed that looked like hell. Upon complete disassembly, light sanding and close inspection it was a wreck.
I used Duracoat on the slide and lightly coated the rail area, and it looks great! The only down side was telling the customer to go easy on it for a month after it finishes curing. It looks like the factory finish.....i was amazed.
12 years 1 month ago #10937

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Duracoat or Gun-kote which is better?

Man, I use almua-hyde from Brownell's as a base-coat (desert tan or coyote brown) and then do a break-up pattern over it with good ol' krylon spray paint. I do this for a reason...I abuse the hell out of my rifles in the field-I crawl around with them, bump into all kinds of stuff, drag it through cacti, I've even used my rifle on a 12 mile road march, and believe me-a rifle gets banged up on a long road march.
I've yet to find a cammo finish that can withstand my abuse 100%...dura coat included. (I've never used gun-kote) If it's gonna get scratched up, then I'd just assume use paints that I can apply myself with little hassle. The Aluma-Hyde is an epoxy-based finish that comes in a spray can just like spray paint. It takes about a week to dry, but once it's hardened, it withstands the solvents I use to clean the rifle pretty well. I also like to use the krylon because I can change my pattern to suit my environment with relative ease.
I should mention...My idea of a cammo pattern isn't what looks ninja on the gun...My objective is to make it look like what I can best describe as a ratty old piece of trash, because I've found that it works the best in the woods.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11065

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!