Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

night vision

• Thank you received: 67

night vision was created by foxhunter

anyone have any experience with generation 2 or 3 ATN night vision scope that attaches to scope or mounts in front of it? gen 2 is going form about $1800 and gen 3 $4,000. Anyone know what makes the gen 3 so much more expensive?
14 years 8 months ago #1904

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:night vision

I read on those as well, if I understand it correctly, one: it has something to do with the clarity of the optical picture, so to speak, two: the gen 3 does not use the highlighter beam, and it has more advance electronics if I understand it right.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 8 months ago #1905

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:night vision

So basically with NV, generation refers to what sort of internals are used to do the light amplification. Basically the diference is how the photons are turned into electrons, and amplified. Gen 1 are usually fairly blury, gen 2s are a little better.

Gen 3 is noticably sharper than the previous generations. All of this has to do with improvements in resoultion and signal to noise ratio. Gen 3s also tend to last longer than the common gen 1/2.

By the time you get to gen 4s, the clarity is pretty impressive, and it's a bit less troubled by light sources in the image in terms of blooming (like a street lamp etc).

That's my ghetto description, I invite anyone who's used them for work to clarify/refine/correct.

I've never used a rifle mount NV optic, so can't speak to that specifically
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by crux.
14 years 8 months ago #1930

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:night vision

I made the plunge and bought a gen 3 4x night vision scope from tactical night vision. By the way check out their website and forum. It is cool.
I got detachable sights on the scope and attached an IR illuminator. the scope is really heavy, so I mounted it on a RRA AR 15 carbine instead of my AR10. May sight it in on the AR10 later. With the detachable mounts, I can use it as a monocular to scan for game and then quickly attach it to the gun and it stays zeroed in perfectly.
On a cloudless night I can clearly see game further out than I can shoot them with the ar 15. Even when the game is hiding in the cover, when I turn on the illuminator their eyes light up like christmas lights.
I have been shooting targets out to 200 yds at night and it is a blast.
I think if I got another, though, I would be happy with a gen 2+ at half the cost, as long as I had the IR illuminator to go with it. The clarity of the gen 3 over the gen 2 is significant, but I don't think it improves your ability to hit a target. It just allows you to make out details more clearly at greater distances.
14 years 5 months ago #2219

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:night vision

Hey fox, lets see some pictures of it, come on share....
I have a night vision monocular,,Night Owl,, It is just something I play around with, figured it would be could enough to see a "Bad Guy" in the house if I had to use it...but what you have, I am definitely a little jealous my friend....Strap in to the AR-10 and lets see it....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 5 months ago #2222

I'll see what I can do about the picture
14 years 5 months ago #2223

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mark300 on topic Re:night vision

What brand and model are you using?
14 years 5 months ago #2230

It is by Night Optics Usa
D 740- 3a . It is 4x magnification.
14 years 5 months ago #2233

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!