Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Member - Intro & Optics Question

• Thank you received: 0

New Member - Intro & Optics Question was created by .308 All the Way

Just purchased a RRA LAR-8 Standard Operator. Prior to this I was only into handguns. Now I want to try hunting and target shooting and such. Went with the .308 for versatility reasons.

Anyway, I did buy a Bushnell Trophy Red dot sight that I will be mounting on the side with a Daniel's Defense mount for closer shots, but I am going to mount a scope on top, and wanted some tips on what to look for. I know I can spend as much as my bank account will allow, but I don't really know much about optics and wanted some opinions.

The ACOG won't work for me. 3x9 or 4x12 is where I was leaning toward. I figure on spending about $300 to $500.00 tops for my first scope. I heard that each scope company has a scope with a rangefinder built in. While that sounds great, I have no idea how you put something that is based on a computer into a scope and expect it to last with recoil pounding from firing. Does anyone have one of these and can tell me more?

Edit: the daniel defense website does not have that 1 O'Clock side mount for sale at the moment, and my red dot looks too big for it? the mount appears to be for smaller red dots, and I think mine is too big. Any thoughts on how to fix that? Does anyone know if there are other mounts out there that would work?

Thank you.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by .308 All the Way.
13 years 10 months ago #4577

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

308 welcome the rest of the staff is sleeping in. The price range you have listed fits a high end weaver 4-16. Everyone is buying the turret tech from them anyway and the glass aint to bad. Don't run both scopes it gets to busy. There is only a couple of scope companys that have range finders built in. They are pricie. Keep it clean and simple.MSH
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by a Guest.
13 years 10 months ago #4578

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

As MSH has stated...Welcome to the site...I woke up.. :lol:
I will do some research and get back to this as soon as I can..
One note...dump that Bushnell Red Dot...I had one on my AR-10...it won't hold up...you will loose zero after a few rounds...If you want a Red dot that is tested, by me, Try the Burris XTS-135...cost is half of an aimpoint and will do the job..until we hook you up with a variable powered scope...Again welcome to the site...
BMS

OOPS...check the optic section...I did a review on the XTS...
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 10 months ago #4579

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

You could also go with a Nikon Monarch for your long range optic or a weaver as MSH said(he wont lead you wrong). Also Msh is right you probably dont want both scopes on there at once(it will be heavy enough as it is). I would recommend some quick release scope rings(BMS will have to confirm if i am calling them the right thing).

any way my $.02. And welcome to the group!
13 years 10 months ago #4580

Well Donkey is correct on that one, you have learned much Young one..LOL
if you are looking for a dual set up....I would suggest a different route altogether....mount an additional optic to the forward rail, on the side would be much heavier...if you would like some suggestions...we can help...
they make rings and bases with rails on mounting platforms on them that you can mount a small red dot or holo sight for close range...
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 9 months ago #4588

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

Looking into the Nikon line of scopes.

I am waiting for my Daniel Defense 1 O'Clock mount part to come in, but I have a concern currently:

On my .308, there is a handguard with smaller quad rails at the front - I can put my red dot there, which was my plan; however, the red dot would then be pretty much near the end of the barrel.

Sigh - I am sorry, I am new at this and trying to get what I want, attempt to avoid what I don't, and troubleshoot all at the same time.
13 years 9 months ago #4589

Slipped in at the same time... :laugh:
What do you want to spend...this kind of set up is not cheep....
BMS

13 years 9 months ago #4590

Yes, I need help with the set up.

My plan was:

1. Put a 3x9 or 4x12 scope on the top;
2. Put a red dot on the side with the Daniel's defense mount;
3. Look through scope for long range shots; cant the rifle and use red dot for shorter range - say no more than 50 yards or closer.

That was my original plan:

So perhaps do something different with two sights on the top rail?

Money isn't really the issue, I just want to get it right the first time, but I am already doing stupid stuff and ordering parts and things like that when I really should be calming the heck down and taking my time with this.
13 years 9 months ago #4592

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

.308 ATW,

After reading your original post, I'm wondering if you meant the scopes come with a ballistic "range" reticle or if you meant the the scope has a built in laser range finder?

The scopes with the laser range finder are going to be out of your price range. And the jury is still out on deciding if they work well enough yet. They're getting better though!

The Ballistic range reticles are nice, but usually they are taylored to a certain bullet or load, and environmental factors will change the way these work from one day to another. For common hunting situations, this reticle may be a good choice.

You might also look into a mil-dot or moa based reticle. These reticles can also be used for range holdovers and also can be used to help you determine the distance of an animal or object. One of these reticles teamed up with a "Mil-Dot Master" analog calculator (www.mildot.com/) Mil-dot master link and you will be able to dial in any range you wish to shoot at.

Which ever way you go, the best thing to do is get out and shoot and "validate" your optic and optic reticle. You'll need to go out in all kinds of weather too, because you'll find that your bullet will fly differently in the summer versus the winter.

Personally I like Nightforce scopes, but they are expensive. I'm currently using the NP-R1 reticle, which is an moa based reticle. I'm considering switching over to mil based reticles, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyways, when you find a scope that you like, let us know and we can give you our opinions on it. SWFA.com is a good resource to look through the various scopes.
13 years 9 months ago #4595

Looking at Nikon mainly at this point - they seem to have a good balance between quality and price - in theory.

I will not be doing the rangefinder scope thing at this point, as it appears they need to perfect the technology, i.e. when all scopes have this as a standard feature, then we will know it is ready for field use.

Mil-dot sounds good as a reticle.

I will try and get more specifics on a specific model and go from there.
13 years 9 months ago #4597

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!