Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Member - Intro & Optics Question

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...play&category_id=401

This is a link to my exact firearm. Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of using a daniel defense 1 O'Clock mount on the rail that goes all the way up by the barrell and putting a red dot there.

That is part of my plan and I would have to cant the rifle to look through the red dot. It just seems to me to be kinda far up on the rifle, but hey, that is the rifle I have, so I am trying to make it work with that.

Others are suggesting that I put two sights on the top rail and forget side mounting sights.

Thoughts?
13 years 9 months ago #4601

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

Meaning no offense....scrap the forward sight idea...give me a day or two and I will try to put together something I think that will work for you and you will like...but it is not going to be el'cheepo..just to let you know...
you can get a mount that will suit a small holo sight that will blot onto you top rail either under your scope mount, depending on the height of it, or you can put on top of your scope....Like I said give me a day or two...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 9 months ago #4602

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

Ok - I await your response.
13 years 9 months ago #4604

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

One think I think you might find is that a miniature red-dot would work better on this 1 o'clock rail, than the Bushnell trophy that you are talking about. Something like this from Burris: red-dot link I think it's about the cheapest one out there. Most miniature red-dots look similar to this design, but cost a lot more. Like Doctor, Leupold, Insight, etc. You can find some smaller red-dots for $40, but I doubt that they would hold up to the recoil on you rifle.

Also, if I'm understanding what you are saying, then mounting the red-dot all the way forward will make it harder to see. The red-dot would be better served back closer to your eye, then clear down at the end of the rifle.
13 years 9 months ago #4608

Replied by dpmsfulton on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

why not just buy the long range scope you want, and then get one of the ring mounts with a rail on top, and then buy a Doctor's red dot optic. Very small, big window, and is in line with the bore vertically.
13 years 9 months ago #4610

dpmsfulton wrote:
The main problem with these is that you lose your cheek weld, which in turn you lose some accuracy. Tilting the rifle is a lot faster and keeps your good cheek weld in place.
13 years 9 months ago #4611

True, you lose some of your cheek weld, and therefore some accuracy, but my understanding was he is looking for something 50 yards and in. To me, that sounds like CQB and SHTF range, and pinpoint accuracy is not as important. Ive done some shooting like this and you can easily hit more or less center of chest targets quickly. I found this a much more viable option than tilting the gun, but maybe that's been a function of my training.
13 years 9 months ago #4612

I can see that. There's always more than one way to "skin a cat". I've just found it easier to cant the rifle over. I've got an ACOG with the top iron sights and I've always disliked them. I'd rather not move my head around. But that's just me.... ;)
13 years 9 months ago #4613

I think any iron sights are not forgiving regarding eye alignment. My experience has been the red dots are a little more forgiving. I also like to keep the rifle vertical to keep functioning and ergonomics in the same plane as was designed. But as you said, more than one way to skin the cat.
13 years 9 months ago #4614

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Member - Intro & Optics Question

OK, I have put my library to use...here we go..

first of I would suggest this for your close in optic..

www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

then for a scope mount we have these...it depends on which scope mount you use...I like the QD mounts my self....

for standard scope rings....

www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=202&parents=69,162

The LaRue set up....any of their scope mounts, which are top notch, even if they are arrogant -sss... :angry:
just one suggestion for a scope mount..
this one depends on your BUIS height....
stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30
stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=39
they also make this one...if you want the Acog...
stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=115

Now for an off-set....let me see...what do we have.... :dry:
www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=113
www.yhm.net/store/rails.html
http:///.aspx/pid=27509/Product/BURKETT_OFFSET_MINI_RED_DOT_MOUNT
This a rail that would be almost at a 90 degree off center..
www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=50&parents=89,164

These are just a few options you have if you go this route...
my advice is to go with two different mounts....one for the scope and one for your red dot...quick detach of course...but that is me...as I said before...from experience...loose that POS bushnell...it will give you a headache...

There is one more alternative for you to consider...
you might want to think about a Tactical scope...say a 1-4x that would give you close to close medium ranging...
I guess that is all I can say at this point...the rest is up to you..
You have some things to think on....good luck and ask away if you need some more help...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 9 months ago #4617

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!