Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines

• Thank you received: 3

Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines was created by sonogun

There is a little bit of room remaining in the magazine in front of the round or rear of the round or both. Does the Ar-10 feed better with the round in the middle of the magazine, the tips or rears butted or what? I am having a problem with FTF using Federal 167 Grain Match Ammo at the rate of once every 20 shots or so. I'm thinking this upper end on this factory new AR-10 needs some different Ammo or the rounds need to be loaded just so-so. Any Ideas?
11 years 6 months ago #12480

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines

I've always treated them just like I was taught with all magazines, keep the round to the back of the mag. In the service they had us bang the AR mags on our helmet. I was skeptical because the weapon got banged around from all angles after the mag was loaded in the rifle and still fired, can't say they wasted much of my time though so there had to be something behind it. I did notice that soft-points get flattened in my AR-10. They still feed, ripping off small chunks of lead though. That tells me the rounds are moving inside the mag no matter where I start them out. I end up with traces of copper inside the magazine from fmj bullets hitting or dragging against it but never a function issue.
It is almost unheard of for an AR-10 not to function with federal match ammo, I haven't, I wouldn't be shy about talking to Armalite about it. I'll be curios to see what the real knowledgeable guys have to say? Any details like the first or last round being the problem or is it just random?
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by jtallen83.
11 years 6 months ago #12481

Replied by sonogun on topic Re: Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines

It appears to be random. The bolt is half way home and the round is jammed half way out of the mag with the bolt pressing it up against the mag with enough force to mar the round. I have some Black Hills 168 Gr Match Moly rounds I was going to use sighting in my scope when it comes but maybe I will try cycling 100 rounds of that through with the tapping the mag treatment. I'm out of Federal so I will have to wait to try the mag tap with them. Thanks for the input.
11 years 6 months ago #12482

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lonetrader on topic Re: Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines

From what I have read, the first 100 or so rounds you can expect a FTF. Keep it well lubed including your bolt lugs.
11 years 6 months ago #12493

Replied by sonogun on topic Re: Loading AR-10 Gen 2 Magazines

As far as FTF problems, the feed mechanism worked flawlessly on my trip to the range yesterday. I tapped all the rounds to the rear of the magazine before insertion. The Devil is in the details and sometimes the small things cause the most problems. Everyone's input on this was very much appreciated. Thanks.
11 years 6 months ago #12524

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!