Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

gen 2 mags

• Thank you received: 0

gen 2 mags was created by haskell

i'm still new to the ar10 game (was m1a guy)i've purchased several new gen2 mags i have a armalite ar10T(armalite upper,eagle lower with armalite parts) it shoots like a house afire, but about 2/3 of the mags dont feed reliably and fail to hold the bolt open. is it me, the mags or the gun? any help would be great.
14 years 6 months ago #2157

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:gen 2 mags

Haskell Welcome to the site, I am not familiar with the issue that you are having where I have 6 gen 2 mags, one 10 and 5 20s, and so far no problems as you describe. There are a few with much greater knowledge than I on these issues so be patient and I am sure we can fix you up.
One question, is it the same mag that is malfunctioning?
OK a couple of question......if it is, is it brand new, if so, call Armalite and talk to them about an exchange. If it is more than just the odd one, then you may have an internal issue. I will contact MSH and see what he has to say.
Stand by and once again Welcome to the site......

BUILDING MY SASS.......
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 6 months ago #2159

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:gen 2 mags

SASS sent me a message today on the mags and your problem. 1st make sure the mag ears are in close contact with the bolt carrier. May have to adjust them. 2nd make sure the piont of the bullet strikes in the feed ramps of the barrel ext. Need to be well in the ramp. This is the major issues on feeding and very easy to fix. The bolt catch issue is a little harder to fix. The main jest of that is to have the tab on the back of the follower making good solid contact with the bolt catch. Some of my students made a punch and die set to adjust the tab. This will get you looking in the right spot.MSH
14 years 6 months ago #2166

Replied by haskell on topic Re:gen 2 mags

the ones that don't feed(part of the time) are also the ones that don't hold the bolt open(all the time)i have one that works every time, all the time.the others can only be used as range mags as i can't trust them. i'm gonna try one of the 5 mag deals armalite and if i have the same problem i'll have a 'smith look at it. it's a bummer cause it is a tackdriver.
14 years 6 months ago #2167

Another couple of questions, how NEW is your AR-10, they have a life time warranty, I know you said that is a ArmaLite upper on a EA lower, never the less, you should be able to send it in for repair. Oh one more, have you talked to ArmaLite about the issue.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 6 months ago #2168

i haven't talked to armalite yet as it is a mix and match gun. everything is new except for the upper' it has about 400(150 to 200 are mine) rounds through it. the previous owner said he was switching to a sass uppper. where it works with the one clip i think we're gonna tweek the lips of the others to mirror the good one and try that. failing that i guess i'll talk to to armalite about sending it to them. thanks alot for the help. you guys have a great site here.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by haskell.
14 years 6 months ago #2170

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:gen 2 mags

If your lower pre-dates Gen II mags, Armalite has an upgraded bolt catch to work with the Gen II mags. My '04 vintage EA works fine with Gen II mags but looking at the mag followers interface with the bolt catch, I can see where there could be problems. The new catch P/N is 10203100 and is $16 from Armalite. It should not be hard to change. This would solve your no hold open problem but probably not your feed issue.
14 years 6 months ago #2172

i may have found an answer to the problem. armalite said that enlarging the gas port .005 should solve the prob. late model rifles and uppers may have ports that are a shade small, causing feed and extraction problems.
14 years 5 months ago #2179

I would consult with MSH, he really knows his rifles and see what he would charge you, and or see if ArmaLite will fix the problem for free.....
Just a couple of thoughts...
BMS

14 years 5 months ago #2184

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:gen 2 mags

SASS that's an easy fix you have more in shipping than the repair. This is one of the gripes that I have had with Armalite over the years. They pulled this stunt with the 243s about 10 years ago. They over gassed them and wrote me a letter stating as such and then told me it was my fault that I found the problem. I still have the letter. The owner threaten a law suit for showing it in the gunsmithing classes that I teach. We aint been to court yet. He also had a girlfrind at the time and his old lady caught up with that. That's how close we all come to not getting any A10s. As I have watched that soap opera play out over the years I decided to go the DPMS Rem route. They don't seem to have the Bubba attitude as Armalite has had. On the other hand Armalite seems to have improved in resent years with service. There is enough parts that interchange that it don't matter any more on the brand. I will add that the DPMS and Rem receivers are of better mechanical design.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2186

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!