Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags

• Thank you received: 0

Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags was created by Qbeam

Hey Folks,

Just looked at the 2010 Magpul Catalog, and was disappointed that there were no polymer magazines for the Armalite AR-10. I have not seen a DPMS/POF/SR-25/LMT .... magazine, but is there a radical difference between the two styles? I am curious because if they can modify M-14/M1A magazines to work in Armalite AR-10s, would it be possible to modify the DPMS magazines to run in the Armalites? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q
14 years 3 months ago #2796

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags

I know MSH posted something on this awhile back and Cruz was playing around with converting some M-14 mags to make them work, haven't seen him in awhile...

anyway this is what I could dig up....it's not much, as I said maybe MSH will shed some light on this...

Here is what I found....

MAGAZINE: The AR-10 magazine is based on the magazine of the M14 Rifle. The M-14 magazine is well proven and available in large numbers. It is both stronger and more reliable than that of early AR-10 and similar magazines. It is made in 10 round capacity.

The AR-10B magazine does not bear a latch plate on the rear surface like that of the M-14 magazine. The lower receiver, however, has a clearance cut up the back of the magazine well to allow insertion of an M-14 magazine. A 20 round M-14 magazine can therefore be modified to function perfectly in the AR-10. This modification requires changes to the feed lips cutting a magazine catch opening cutting a slot down the back of the magazine replacement of the follower with a new follower addition of a bolt catch trip and spring a slight change in the follower spring.

The most unique aspect of the ArmaLite magazine is the follower. A top surface similar to that of the M16 magazine has been combined with a form suited to the M-14 magazine box. A patented spring-loaded plunger has been installed in the follower. When the follower rises to the top of the magazine box, this plunger pops into the track at the rear of the magazine well and trips the bolt catch, thus holding the bolt carrier assembly to the rear.

The magazine will continue to function in the M-14 rifle, but will not trip the M-14 bolt catch unless the AR-10 follower is replaced with the M-14 follower. The latch plate at the rear of the magazine (which engages the M-14 magazine catch) may be sufficiently weakened by removal of its upper half that it breaks off, rendering the magazine usable only in the AR-10.

USING M-14 RIFLE MAGAZINES: The AR-10B magazine is based on the proven M-14/MlA rifle magazine. A good quality metal 20 round M-14/MlA magazine can be altered to work perfectly in the AR-10B. U.S. GI and imported Chinese magazines are acceptable. Commercial metal magazines with blue finish or pressed latch plates require replacement of the shell. Fiberglass magazines (i.e. Thermold, etc.) are totally unsuitable for conversion.

ArmaLite sells 20 round magazines when available. ArmaLite will provide converted magazines for a fee or on a 2-for-1-exchange basis. Magazine conversion kits allow a customer to convert all metal M14/M1A magazines and metric FAL magazines to AR-10B series magazines.

MAGAZINE INTERCHANGEABILITY: 10 round AR-10B magazines and converted 20 round M-14 magazines will not work in early AR-10/AR-10A rifles, or in the current SR-25 rifle. Magazines for those rifles will not work in the new AR-10B series rifles. Unless converted with the reversible magazine conversion kit, M-14/M1A magazines should not be used in the M-14 or M1A after modification.

I know it does not answer the question about the difference but it is something....to read on

Oh and I e-mailed Magpul about the AR-10 mags when I first read about them in the 2009 Guns and Ammo's Book of the AR-15. They replied back that they would neither confirm or deny on any speculation as to new projects involving the P-mags or the AR-10.
So we can only hope...
BMS
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 3 months ago #2804

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags

So Armalite mags as BMS mentioned are derived from the M14 mag. This was done so the first production AR-10s could have HiCap mags during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.

Post ban, other companies produced new mags for their variants of the stoner rifles. Most gravitated to the type now used by the R-25, DPMS, Knights Armament rifles. Most everything else faded away. Some appreciate the interchangeability of the design used by Knights, but I for one still support Armalite for making a great rifle and being the first ones to bring back the 7.62 Stoner Rifle in the form of the AR-10.

M14 mags can be converted for use on the AR-10 but it's a lot of work and ugly in my opinion. I started a conversion page I need to finish with the final results when I get some time.

That said, the Gen II Armalite mags work flawlessly with the current production AR-10s.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by crux.
14 years 3 months ago #2819

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by stef on topic Re:Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags

First I want to say i'm not a gunsmith so excuse me if this sounds dum.In Amsterdam I saw a Garand that was made to be a M14.
They cut a hole to addept a magazine,surounded the hole with brass and chanced the barrel I think to 7,62 nato.I was told it was a prototype and it uses old style A.r.10 mags.This rifle is part of a collection and the owner only collects weapons made by Eugene Stoner.In Holland you can only have a collection on a speciffic topic.So why the M14 I don't know.The old A.R.10 will adept modificated G3 mags also but it is a lot of work.I know some one who has a pyle of original mags,but they are not cheap.Around
14 years 3 months ago #2820

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by HHollow on topic Re:Differences between Armalite and Other AR-10 Mags

Old waffle magazines for Fairchild and Dutch contract AR10's should cost no more than $50. The last two I got this year were $35/each and appears NOS. Watch out because these were supposed to be disposable and are thus not durable. I have been told the lips go bad. Also, if left loaded they will bulge with time and then not fit the magwell.

There would probably be a problem with shipping such an item overseas from USA unless it were disassembled and sent one piece at a time. That recalls a Johnny Cash ballad in which an autoworker acquired a new caddy one piece at a time.
14 years 3 months ago #2825

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!