Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite magazine capacities

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite magazine capacities was created by HardCase

I'm pretty new here, hope things pick up a bit although realize that these forums are going to appeal to a fairly small community, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm also new to AR-10T ownership. Got mine about a month ago and am still engaging in the break-in process. It came with two 20 round mags, and I got two of the 25s as well. I'm wondering about the "real" capacity of these mags, however. Is it like the AR-15 where the 20 rounders are really best loaded with no more than 18? What about the 25s, are they like AR-15 30s which can be loaded with 30? I haven't yet felt the need for a fully loaded mag, but am wondering what the 'rules' are for future reference.
15 years 6 months ago #344

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

I have gi mags and load them to 20
15 years 6 months ago #351

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

I haven't had any issue with them operated at spec number of rounds.

Out of superstition though I mostly keep all my mags for all rifles a few rounds short to reduce the load on the springs. I've heard of folks keeping various mags loaded to max for years with no ill effects however except for the occasional 3-sigma failure (to be expected, they can't all be perfect).

I'd think quality built products, like Armalite's should be fairly durable.
15 years 6 months ago #355

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

I keep a few AR-15 mags fully loaded and have not had any problems. Like you I never put more than 5 rounds in my AR-10 mags.
15 years 5 months ago #479

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

Gents,

I go by the old M-14 mag rule. I load 18 in a 20 round magazines. Although, to be truthful I've never had a problem loading to full capacity either.
My rifle is an "accuracy" weapon for me and was built by GA Precision. Unless I had to I'm not going to burn a lot of ammo through it and save the Schneider barrel for more serious duties.

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #481

Replied by HardCase on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

I'm definitely finding that I don't need to load more than 5-10 rounds into the AR-10, at least not so far. I'm now begining to wonder why I even bought the two 25s, 20s would have been fine and not quite so long. I have not even used them yet. Oh well, they may end up being a better investment than the stock-market by far, especially with the new political realities in DC starting in January......
15 years 5 months ago #483

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

I figured the 20s were a good tradeoff between capacity and bulk/weight. For the most part, like wes, I don't plan to put too many rounds through at any given time, but I may bring it out once and a while for the local competition shooting, and there it's handy to have more than 10 rounds loaded at a time.
15 years 5 months ago #487

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Armalite magazine capacities

Gents,

I actually prefer the 10 round magazines. They allow you to get much lower in the prone position which equates to tighter groups. In fact, I'm about to remove the bi-pod from the rifle and do some testing. I suspect I'll find that shooting with the 10 round magazine, without bi-pod, over may pack will yield best results. I know it does with all my bolt guns...
Will let you know the results when I get around to it...

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #498

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!