Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Quest for the best....

• Thank you received: 85

Quest for the best.... was created by Dabu

I'm interested in getting a new muzzle device for my rifle. It's a RRA LAR-8 with a 20" barrel.

I want something from the best of the both worlds of reducing muzzle rise and reducing muzzle flash. I'm trying to make the best battle rifle out there.

So now please give me your honest and non-sugar coated opinion on what I should get. :lol:

Thanks,

Dabu
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Dabu. Reason: typo
11 years 1 month ago #17247

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Quest for the best....

I don't have any personal experiance with these, but have heard good reviews about them...

Battle Comp...
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 month ago #17248

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Quest for the best....

If you ever plan to get a suppressor, I suggest going with whatever device is compatible with it. A suppressor is going to be hands down the best of both worlds. Other than that, I like the smith vortex for flash although it does nothing for muzzle rise. The battle comp is said to be a good best of both worlds muzzle device comparable to the KAC triple tap in performance, with the PWS fsc30 a close second at less than half the price of the battle comp. I can't say first hand for either.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 1 month ago #17252

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Quest for the best....

Though about putting one on but everyone says its redundent with a 26" HB. Here is what I breifly looked at.
shop.grizzlygunworks.com/product.sc;jses...ctId=96&categoryId=1
11 years 1 month ago #17253

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Quest for the best....

I've got no experience with these other than on my Benelli M4 but I know Brownell's has quite a few also to take a look at.
11 years 1 month ago #17254

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Quest for the best....

NOT for $190, he can stuff it for that. What see is just a piece of machined steel with some symmetrical slots and some claims which I think are BS. Ask him for his test data to back it up. I do not see any engineering, I see machine work to look pretty...
11 years 1 month ago #17259

Replied by Dabu on topic Quest for the best....

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'm skeptical about putting a suppressor on a gas operated weapon. I've heard that putting a suppressor on a direct impingement gas system prevents the right amount of pressure to push the bolt carrier group all the way back and causes extraction, ejection and loading problems.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have no experience with suppressors.
11 years 1 month ago #17264

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Quest for the best....

Complex answer...first let me begin by saying only in the aftermarket auto world for fast cars or off road Jeeps will you find more add ons, do-dah, tactikool and stuff that that will double your gas mileage, double your HP/Torque, make your dogs and kids smart, your wife lose 25 lbs of ugly fat and wear a bikini again and give you an instant hard on.

Read what they say: "The Grizzly Gunworks muzzle brake for the AR 10 will reduce recoil a minimum of 60% and eliminate muzzle rise so multiple shots can be taken without your eyes leaving the target. This is the most effective and highest quality muzzle brake available on the market."

Really, got any test data or ANYTHING that has any level of testing, you mean they are ALL THAT GREAT?

Did you look at the pics? I did, there are 3, count'um THREE different Muzzle brakes being shown and they make 4, all with the same claims, which one is the miracle worker? "DEFCON 2", "Ghost Protocol", "Grizzly" and "The Hunter" all for $190, unless you buy 5 then they are only $170. One might also note that for ANY finish other than flat black you must pay and extra $6 - $14 bucks making this a $200 + shipping piece of tactiKool...

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT picking on Grizzly or have any axe to grind with them at all. Fact is there is no shortage of AR products all making incredible claims, RARE to see any test data of any kind.

The bottom line is yes you need to engineer any muzzle brake and or compensator-supprssor before you bolt it on. Not only does that affect your weapons operating characteristics but so does the length of the barrel, length of the gas tube etc etc. Contrary to popular belief you just cannot grab a bunch of parts throw them together and expect great results...hence I am wary of AR manufacturers that are just some folks ordering parts and assembling them in their garage.

Hang out on the forums and you will see not shortage of these questions arising:

* I bought a XYC upper and a Acme Lower and they do not fit very well, there is a gap I see daylight thru, what should I do?

* I bought a new barrel for Andy's AR Barrels and TV Repair but the best group I can get is with a bayonet 'cause my gun won't shoot straight, should I buy a $2000 tactiKool scope to fix it? I tried calling Andy but all I get some guy over in India.

* I got a good deal on some mags from 'WeBe' Mags and Chinese Take Out, the mags don't work, can't even be loaded and every time I call for support the guy wants to know if I want Egg Rolls with my order? What should I do?

Just to mention a few I have seen.

You are good to be cautious, stay that way my friend...
11 years 1 month ago #17267

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Quest for the best....

It's the other way around. A suppressor will increase back pressure and dwell time a bit and can, in some circumstances over gas an AR. Adjustable gas blocks fix this, but usually aren't needed as AR10s tend to be the most tolerant of suppressor use, and worse case scenario is a dose of 'gas face' complete with a carbon mustache. This is where the PRI gas buster comes in handy, unless you shoot lefty, or a dab of RTV around your stock charging handle to seal it off.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Dabu
11 years 1 month ago #17274

Replied by Dabu on topic Quest for the best....

:unsure: hmmmmm....

So there's a chance that adding a suppressor will increase recoil due to the increased gas pressure?

Yea I guess that makes sense because the easiest path of travel is the path of least resistance. I was thinking a suppressor draws more hot gas to it because of the hot gas can expand quicker because of the volume of the suppressor, but it would draw less compared to the open air.

:lol: carbon mustache. I'd like to see that.
11 years 1 month ago #17276

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!