Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

muzzles devices

• Thank you received: 1

muzzles devices was created by P1445

hello everyone I've got a question what is the major difference between a flash hider a muzzle brake and a compensator.I am looking to reduce muzzle climb. I have a Armalite AR 10 with a 20" match grade as barrel if that matters. I'm trying to stay on target. The A2 hider is not helping, I know flash hider suppresses the flash at the muzzle and I believe the brake diverts gases as the projectile leaves the barrel which should reduce muzzle climb. Am I right or wrong. I've looked at the muzzle device section but that did not answer many question. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks , mike
10 years 7 months ago #29255

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic muzzles devices

You are correct, you want a compensator/muzzle brake. Somewhere on the forum there is a good link to a video comparison study of of several different types. It has been awhile so I don't recall where it would be or what the terms used were. If you use the advanced search functions and sort through the list you should come up with it, worth your time to look for sure. Maybe someone else with a better memory will be more help.
Here is a good article to read;
www.multigunmedia.com/pk-compensation.pdf
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: P1445
10 years 7 months ago #29256

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic muzzles devices

I found a bunch of videos where they compared popular muzzle brakes and flash hiders. The page is here:

www.ar10t.com/forums/muzzle-devices/1308...or-the-best?start=10
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, P1445
10 years 6 months ago #29261

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic muzzles devices

Flash hiders are just that, flash hiders. Goes back to the days of powders which did not completely burn out and would give a distinctive signature to the bad guys and the good guys to your left and right, partially blinding them at night. Some FH were not more than a long cone shaped fixture you could put on your gun. Of course these weapons were not auto or even semi auto.

This became really clear to anyone who has used the ole Chicago Typewriter aka Thompson MG.

The other method for keep muzzle rise is of course weight. Want to see something interesting then either do it if you can or you can find some videos of a Browning Auto Rifle on FA. Almost no rise at all. It has a well designed compensator + heavy weapon + arm strength (your arms begin to look like popeye).
The following user(s) said Thank You: P1445
10 years 6 months ago #29262

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic muzzles devices

I knew it was here somewhere! I thought this was a very good review for the subject. Maybe it should get a sticky under the correct topic????
:usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #29271

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by P1445 on topic muzzles devices

While may be I should have cruised through the posts a little more too. Thank you to all of you.
10 years 6 months ago #29273

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!