Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalites Own Recoil Check

• Thank you received: 102

Armalites Own Recoil Check was created by MrMarty51

I purchased one of these AR10 Recoil Check devices.
It has a set screw hole through it, 90* off set from the flats.
I am making a wild guess here so correct Me if I am wrong, but, it would seem to Me that the setscrew would go to the bottom side of the barrel.
My barrel is not threaded, but, I have a friend with a lathe that has been through firearms schooling and is very meticulous in His workmanship. I will pay Him the going uptown rates if I could find someone that could, or, would do this type of work, there is no one else, I am thinking 60 to 80 bucks would be fair, what do Youse Guys thinks.
I also had to order a barrel nut wrench as the wrench for the 15s is way to small. Is there any other tools I should have before removing the barrel.
I have read about a gas port alignment tool, is one of these an absolute necessary items or is there a way to improvise with accuracy ???
I also ordered some crush washers, just in case the setscrew, or cutouts would not be in the proper position when the barrel is tightened down.
Anything else I should know about before proceeding onwards ????

www.armalite.com/SearchForm.aspx?Search=10108116

I could not find any instructions specific to this muzzle device on the tech side of their informations pages.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MrMarty51.
9 years 11 months ago #37074

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalites Own Recoil Check

Personally, I would only use a proven, experienced smith. But, with a lathe, threading is a fairly basic gun smith skill. $75 is a very fair wage for the job.

No need for a gas port alignment tool. Very easy to get precisely aligned with a few measurements. No other tools needed, that I can think of.

As for the device, that one would not be in my first top ten picks. If you must use it, I would not use the set screw,I would not use a crush washer. I would use Rocksett and shims to time the device with the setscrew hole at the 6 o'clock position.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #37078

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Armalites Own Recoil Check

Thank You very much Wrenchbndr.
I just could`nt pass the muzzle device up, for the price. :busted:
I forgot, I have a piece of copper wire that I was going to use for a short plug, to put in the set screw hole, before threading in a set screw, to keep from messing up the threads. I also have some bronze welding rod that I can snip off for a plug if that`d be better.

I will see if I can find some "RockSett" here locally and go with that.
He does have some "Shimm Washers" that He had made for timing a couple of other barrels He had threaded, but, if a precise measurement can be done, I am confident that He will do that and keep any shimming to the very minimal.
Later on, when a good buy comes up, on a better recoil device, will the "RockSett" be able to be softened enough, by using heat, to get that device unscrewed from the muzzle ???
Thank You for Your answers to the questions that I had posted.
I guess, if nothing else, that muzzle device will act as a halfa55ed flash reducer. :banghead: :busted: :rotfl:
9 years 11 months ago #37084

If it is properly shimmed, the set screw will not be needed.
Rocksett, think thread locker that is impervious to heat like the red, but is medium strength like the blue. No need for heat to remove, and it clue an up very easily once a device is removed.
It is amazing stuff. Ask the guy doing the work if he think it is needed.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
9 years 11 months ago #37116

I do have some lock~Tite red. I have unscrewed components put together with it, without the use of any heat,
I will ask Hal if that would be necessary, or, needed. I`ll take it and the Lock~Tite primer along too.
The barrel nut wrench is suppose to be delivered on Friday, Hal goes to Hell Creek for a fishing tournament, sponsored by Walleyes` unlimited and wo`nt be home until Monday, probably`ll need a couple of days to recouperate before He`ll be ready to do anything else. :banghead: :busted: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :cowboy:
9 years 11 months ago #37119

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalites Own Recoil Check

Got to echo FAA on his comments. I will say if he is good on that lathe he can cut the threads to get a near perfect set on your muzzle device. As for using Rockset/Locktite, properly machined and torqued you should not even need it. But I would do it for a safety firewall, but use very little, drop will do you.
9 years 11 months ago #37256

I called Hal this morning, to see if He wanted to machine the barrel today.
He was`nt feeling too good so it is postponed until tomorrow.
He did bring up the fact that He could machine the threads so when the muzzle device is attached and torqued, it would time right, with the setscrew to the bottom.
I`m`a hoping He feels up to the task tomorow, but, if He is`nt, I can wait. I do not want anyone that is only half with it to be messing with My baby. :funnypost:
9 years 11 months ago #37280

Ask him to machine it and time the device. I would NOT use the set screw. No need for it, will only mar the barrel.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
9 years 11 months ago #37294

I guess I will let the pictures do the talking.
Hal does know what He is doing and the timing came out perfect in regards to the set-screw.

9 years 11 months ago #37306

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

9 years 11 months ago #37307

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!