Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Building an AR10 tack driver

• Thank you received: 0

Building an AR10 tack driver was created by Don Gordon

Hi, Im the new kid on the block.
I want to build a reasonably affordable tack driver but that seems like an oxymoron. I started with a Noveske N6 stripped lower. I forgot to mention that Im in Kalifornia so the assault weapons ban kinda narrowed my choices on lowers.
Now I'm looking for a barreled upper that will do the job at 1000 yards.
What do you guys recommend and why?
Also, whose got em and how much?
15 years 2 months ago #1095

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Building an AR10 tack driver

A 260 ie (6.5 08) gives good barrel life and is easy to load for. It fairly flat shooting, 26 to 28 min of a 200 zero.
15 years 2 months ago #1102

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:Building an AR10 tack driver

MSH

The 6.5 sounds really good. I read somewhere else that it is a great long range cartridge. I would like to get a 6.5 upper for my AR10 A4.

Is the 6.5 (6.5 08) derived from a necked down .308 case?
15 years 2 months ago #1106

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The 260 Rem is the middle man between the 243 and the 708. One note with the 260 and the 243 it is wise to move the gas manifold 4" forward for timing rather than use a smaller dia gas hole.
15 years 2 months ago #1107

MSH wrote:
Thanks for that advice on the gas port location. What diameter gas port do you recommend in the barrel?

Do you run a 24" barrel length?
15 years 2 months ago #1108

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Most of our barrel lenghts for customers are 26 to 30 inches. The 260 is best when using .093 t0 .098 hole where as the 243 is best at .085 to .093. The 6-250 works best moved 3' forward. Keep in mind you need 19500 psi to cycle the action, so where that is on the dwell time to barrel length is where the port location and accuracy timming is. Using the Lilja tubes most of the rifles shoot in the 1/4 min range on a barrel clamp rest when done like that. These gas pistons are going to change the rules a lot when we go backwards in time on these rifles. I dont like them because of all the extra monkey motion and most are a carbon copy of the 1940 Russian auto loader and Sweed job earlier than that. If pictures could be posted you all would wonder how patents were issued. The new Adams unit is so close to fitting and looking like the 1940 Russian system it aint funny. Keeping the standard gas system will keep the gas system shorter in that respect with these higher pressure rounds.
15 years 2 months ago #1109

"Using the Lilja tubes most of the rifles shoot in the 1/4 min range on a barrel clamp rest when done like that."

Wow! That sounds real good to me.

What is the minimum length barrel for the .260 as far as getting full powder burn/max pressure? I don't really want a 30" barrel if a 26 works as well.

If I remember correctly my 20" Armalite .308 barrel has a .084" gas port size.
15 years 2 months ago #1110

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

24 inches is as short as I would go with those.
15 years 2 months ago #1111

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Don Gordon on topic Re:Building an AR10 tack driver

Sorry guys, I should have been clear that Im trying to build a .308 tackdriver. Im looking for a barreled upper because Im worried about head spacing it myself, don't know how big a job that really is or how to do it. I think I could do it if I had a clue (step by step).
15 years 2 months ago #1117

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I have prints for threading and chambering these barrels but it aint much of a way of posting a picture here. Need to get this web site up to speed. I'm teaching a civilan class on these rifles at Montgomery Tech in May, you might want to attend.MSH
15 years 2 months ago #1118

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!