Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

New Member with a question

• Thank you received: 0

New Member with a question was created by Bob Barker

hey guys,
New member here. I don't own an AR yet, but I finally got the go ahead from my wife to buy one, so I'm now in the market.

Wondering if anyone can give me any tips on where to shop? I've been looking everywhere, and it's damn near impossible to find an AR-10. I'm looking to stay somewhere in the area of 1000(I realize it's a little low, but I can add more accessories later on,) and I'd like to buy it without just getting parts kits. Not really sure if I'd trust myself to assemble the whole thing. Worst case scenario I could trust myself to assemble the upper, but I don't even want to touch the lower. So, if anyone can give me any tips, I'd appreciate it a heck of a lot.
15 years 3 weeks ago #1316

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:New Member with a question

1000 for a good system was near impossible even before the current gun craze. I had a smokin deal last year at $1200 and I was pleased to get an AR10 at that price. Frankly I'd expect to pay up to $1500 for now, though you might get lucky and fine a used one for less. Also, keep an eye out, I think some of the current buying frenzy is slowing down, so some prices may fall back down to around $1200 or so. Don't forget to price in mags.

Best of luck, let us know how you make out :)
15 years 3 weeks ago #1318

Replied by Bob Barker on topic Re:New Member with a question

That is unfortunate...I may have to convince my wife to let me up my allowance a bit. :D We'll see how that works out. But still, any suggestions for places to shop would be nice. Don't even really know where to price them other than direct from the manufacturer.
15 years 3 weeks ago #1319

Replied by ChrisC on topic Re:New Member with a question

will to be honest with you the upper is where you have to do a little more of the technical work, making sure you torque the barrel right, headspacing, and a few things like that. the lower is really easy to put together, just a combination of springs and pins. I just built my first ar10 on the armalite platform. remember theres dpms and armalite, the loweres and uppers of the two dont match up, but a lot of the others parts that make them up such as springs, bolt, pins ect are interchangable. so first pick witch one you want to build. I built a armalite ar10t. The upper i got off gunbroker.com. about the only place you can find something you can get now. it was about 1300 but you can get them cheaper i just wanted the heavy barrel ect. not sure where you live, and that will tell you what lower you can get. anyway buy the upper complete and build the lower is my opinion. hope this helped a litte.
15 years 3 weeks ago #1322

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:New Member with a question

My local gun store has an AR10a4rifle or carbine for $1580, but usually will take off 10% so that with tax it still comes out to about $1580. It comes with a 5 rd and 20 rd mazines.
They have a Rock River Arms lower for sale butI didn't ask the price.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1329

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Member with a question

See what the wait is if you order it. Find a dealer that can order what you want. As my wife says, buy what you want, even if you have to order it, you will be alot happier.
When I went to buy my AR-10, I also considered a RRA. Come to find out they are a parts assembling company not a manufacturer. Stay with the ArmaLite, spend the money, you'll be better off in the long run.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1342

Replied by Bob Barker on topic Re:New Member with a question

Definately appreciate all the tips. I think I may consider just ordering it complete if I can find someplace that is still accepting orders around me. Also might hit up the gun shows.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1345

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Member with a question

You are welcome, if you need any tips on accessories, let me know.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
15 years 2 weeks ago #1346

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!