Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)???

• Thank you received: 0

AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)??? was created by tortuga_hunter

I'm new to the AR-10 market and have been doing a lot of research for my next build and I'm confused about the performance differences between the standard AR-10 and the Super SASS. Obviously the SASS has an upgraded barrel and cosmetic features such as the stock and handguard... but other than the those items which I could have done after I buy the rifle is there any thing proprietary that couldn't be replicated? is it really worth the additional $$? Another question i have is barrel length... I'm from the long rifle mindset that the longer the barrel the more accurate the rifle but I've noticed the SASS comes stock with a 20" barrel, I've seen some nice used AR-10's around with 24" barrels... is there a major performance difference using either one?

What a great site!
15 years 3 weeks ago #1320

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)???

Over the standard AR-10, the Super SASS and (T) both have a match barrel, match quality components, and free float aluminum hand guard (quad rail for the SASS). On top of that, the SASS has the precision stock (very comfy), the adjustible gas system, and mounting point for a suppressor.

20" is said by some to be optimal for .308 depending on load, but there's diverse opinion about the merits of greater length.

The main role of the SASS above the (T) is operation with a suppressor, and that's where most of the extra cost comes from. If you never have any intention of owning a suppressor, the SASS may be more gun than you want, and the (T) is an excellent rifle. If however you want a rifle capable of mounting a suppressor, the SASS's adjustible gas system is designed specifically for it.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1332

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)???

Crux is correct about the specs on the Super SASS. As for the longer barrel and operating system, it depends on the distance your going to shoot, even with a 16' barrel you can go to 500 yds and out. I have put it in .5 MOA at 100 yrds. with a 16" stock barrel on a A4 CB. Also you have to ask yourself, what do you want to build it for, competition or hunting or home defense. You can add a Gas Buster charging handle to take the excess gas pressure for a suppressor with out having the gas valve. In Guns and Ammo's Book of the AR-15 2008, Patrick Sweeney did an article on the Super SASS, you should check it out. It might help you in your decision.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1357

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)???

BUILDING MY SASS wrote:
That's consistent with what I've experienced with my 16".

Interesting find about the charging handle you mentioned. I'm curious to research more about it.
15 years 2 weeks ago #1361

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:AR - 10T or AR - 10SBF (Super SASS)???

Its funny, I called ArmaLite about it, the guy I talked to didn't know what I was talking about. I told him that it came stock on the super sass as added gas diversion. A short time later he called me back and said, OK, you were right, and yes you can order one but if your not using a suppressor it is not recommended as it might cause cycling problems. I also found out that with out the gas valve, just using the gas buster, you still get gas blow back, just not in your face as it sends it out to the side. or so I've been told, being I haven't shot with a can as of yet. Not sure how it works on a faux suppressor (mock).
Crux being that you are into the sass, you should check out the article I mentioned, I think you'ld like it.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
15 years 2 weeks ago #1362

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!