Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

AR-10 Article in RECOIL Magazine

• Thank you received: 188

AR-10 Article in RECOIL Magazine was created by LebbenB

Just got the latest issue of Recoil and what graces the cover of this issue? An AR-10! The staff did a pretty comprehensive article on cutting weight from the Super SASS. Of note is the barrel they went with.

This article is also available on-line at:
www.recoilweb.com/preview-anorexic-ar-10-29745.html

And while you're there, check out the hotties with guns section.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 9 months ago #27559

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR-10 Article in RECOIL Magazine

I was hoping for more weight savings tips, mostly it seemed to be an article on carbon fiber barrels, maybe there is more coming...I hope.

Carbon fiber bbls have been around for a long time and the results have been a best mixed. I did a lot of research on this a while back mostly due to just being curious.

That said most of the issues seemed to be delamination rather than carbon fiber itself. I am going to take the optimistic view and call it like this: Could well be the answer but until the de-lam issues along with heat dissipation all of which = longevity and in the final analysis this is what will determine whether or not it will go mainstream or just remain a niche market approach.

In addition there is the weight savings. Its is real or insignificant. According to 'Proof' its from 20% - 60% or in other words from insignificant to significant.

I think its a great concept and may proof it worth someday if they can get past some of the issues especially the internal de-lam with the bbl...
10 years 9 months ago #27575

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic AR-10 Article in RECOIL Magazine

All of those carbon fiber barrels have a greatly reduced cyclic rate than a standard barrel.
Like Cowboy touched on,.......delam is a great issue. The CF also does not like bumps and scrapes. May be good for a bench rifle, but it has no place on a defense or survival rifle. If a pound is a problem,......hit the damn gym!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 5 months ago #32664

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR-10 Article in RECOIL Magazine

LOL that is funny :rotfl:
10 years 5 months ago #32666

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!