Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

• Thank you received: 1

Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra? was created by MeatAxe556

Finally getting my Ultra together (.300 RSAUM) -- have not shot it as of yet.

I put an Ergo Tactical grip on it (with palm shelf) which I like, but am not crazy about the stock straight buttstock. I might try the Magpul adjustable sniper-type stock, but was also thinking about putting a collapsible stock on this, possibly with a FAB Defense GL buttstock w/ monopod to have full adjustability, possibly with recoil compensation as well.

My question: does the Armalite Collapsible AR10 buttstock kit (with buffer, 6 position buffer tube, spring, etc.) work with the AR10T Ultra (and handle the recoil of the .300 RSAUM)?

Also, after removing and reinstalling the trigger group, I notice that the trigger and sear/disconnector pins have offset detents going around them -- does it matter which way these pins go in?

Thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by MeatAxe556.
10 years 3 months ago #34145

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

Personally I would stick with this:

store.magpul.com/product/MAG308/181

Putting a collapsible stock on something as powerful as an ultra mag just seem like a risky idea.

Good luck whatever you choose to do. Please let us know how it works out.
10 years 3 months ago #34146

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

Meat Axe, two thoughts: the Magpul adjustable might be the best choice to take advantage of the distance accuracy potential of the RSAUM. Second, SOC is our resident expert on the 300 RSAUM. Might send him a PM soliciting his thoughts on your choice.
10 years 3 months ago #34152

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

10 years 3 months ago #34154

Replied by MeatAxe556 on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I've looked at the Magpul precision rifle / sniper stock, which looks good (pricy too).

I was just wondering if anyone had used a collapsible stock on the Ultra.

I've used the FAB Defense GL shock absorbing butt stocks (and AK buffer tubes) on a number of rifles, primarily AKs from 5.56, 7.62x39, .308 and 12 gauge and they work phenomenally -- they really cut down felt recoil and muzzle jump while a allowing a tight, comfortable shoulder weld.

The GL shock can be fitted with an adjustable cheek piece and extended butt pad w/ mono pod, which would seem to work well with long-range shooting:

www.themakogroup.com/product_p/gl-shock.htm

I'm sure the GL butt stock would be up to the task of handling .300 RSAUM, I'm just wondering if the Armalite AR10 collapsible buffer tube assembly would be up to the task.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by MeatAxe556.
10 years 3 months ago #34157

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

The only non-standard components on the AR-10TU 300 RSAUM are

1. Barrel
2. Bolt
3. Gas tube
4. Railed float tube extension

Any AR-10 compatible stock/tube combo will work.

If you want an adjustable stock I recommend the Magpul UBR stock, I use it on my 16" AR-10 carbine. Solid as a non adjustable and the extra weight helps balance. There is a compartment in the stock that I would add weights to balance an even more front heavy rifle better. You will need a special buffer and buffer spring from slash (heavybuffers.com/) to use that stock so the price point will be the same as the PRS stock.

The slash buffer and spring combo will allow you to use any AR-15 stock/tube combo on an AR-10 with one exception. If you use a cheek riser on an AR-15 stock used on your AR-10 you MAY or MAY-NOT have enough room to fully draw your charging handle back.

I shoot my AR-10TU with my nose on the charging handle so my PRS stock is fully collapsed. Also even though I'm using a 53mm scope the rings are low mount so I'm not using the cheek riser.

Basically other than weight (could weight a standard stock) and looking cool, the main feature I use on the PRS is the built in rail that I mount a monopod to.
10 years 3 months ago #34178

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

I have that stock and its quite good, yea, big dollars, but if you are into tight groups then this is a helper...
10 years 3 months ago #34184

Replied by MeatAxe556 on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

Thanks for the info!

What weight buffer spring should I use with that heavy weight buffer?
10 years 3 months ago #34185

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Collapsible Stock for AR10T Ultra?

If your getting the slash buffer use his spring.
10 years 3 months ago #34233

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!