Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

• Thank you received: 188

FN Mk 17S SCAR-H was created by LebbenB

At Ft Bragg around 2004, between deployments, a bro of mine from behind the fence invited me over to play with some of the new toys they had as an inducement to submit my packet and take the long walk.

One of the rifles was the HK416. Pretty cool; I was fascinated by the gas piston system and immediately saw it's advantages over DI in certain circumstances. But in the end, it was still an AR. The piece that really caught my attention was the FN SCAR-L. It looked like nothing that I had ever seen in a rifle before. It was like holding the future. Plus, it shot like a dream though the trigger was nothing to write home about.

Then FN introduces a .308 version and the rifle goes from "want to have" to "NEED to have" in my mind. Recently, prices for a Mk17S have begun to fall as have magazine prices. Recently I scooped one up.

Impressive is the first word that springs to mind when you pick one up. The empty rifle comes in at about eight pounds. This is due to the extensive use of polymers in unstressed parts of the rifle like the butt stock and fire control module.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is a pic of the fire control module. In order to disassemble the Mk 17S, this is the first piece removed. Note the captured pin just forward of the mag well. The trigger guard is larger than that found on an AR and provides enough room for a gloved finger to fit comfortably inside it. The trigger mech itself is a pretty robust set up that reminds me somewhat of the FAL. Both the safety and the mag release are ambidextrous. While I don't foresee any issues with the polymer housing, there are a couple of companies that offer a housing made from aluminum and that accept KAC/PMAG pattern magazines.

The receiver is the serial numbered part of the weapon and it's made from 7075 aluminum with type III anodization. It has a monolithic top rail that allows room for optics and lasers. The Mk 17S also comes with a quick change barrel feature. In the photo above, the barrel lock is the lozenge shaped device just forward of the ejection port. I haven't messed with this since I don't have an additional barrel (yet). FN claims that a Soldier can change the barrel out in 5 minutes or so with common tools. While I don't doubt this claim, I would think that you'd want a torque wrench available to ensure that the barrel is locked down with the proper amount of torque.

The barrel is a 16" CHF piece made with a chrome lining. FN is known for the quality and longevity of it's barrels and this one is no exception. FN claims a 16-20,000 round barrel life. The gas piston system has two settings, normal (12 o'clock) and suppressed (10 o'clock.)

Here's a look at the butt stock. In addition to being adjustable for LOP, it also has an adjustable cheek piece and hinged to fold to the right. When folded the stock does not interfere with the ejection of the rifle.

One of the gripes leveled at the SCAR is the reciprocating charging handle. When placed on the left side of the rifle, it does make mounting optics somewhat problematic as the mount can interfere with the manipulation of the charging handle. A simple solution is to move the CH to the right side of the weapon, though doing that means the firing hand has to leave the pistol grip to charge or clear the rifle. I mounted a 1-4x scope on mine using an ADM non=cantilever mount and simply turned it around so the QD locks were on the right side of the rifle.

An immediate thought I had as I pick up the rifle was, given it's weight, recoil was going to be substantial. As I disassembled it for it's initial cleaning I began to think otherwise. The bolt carrier/op rod is MASSIVE as is the recoil spring. During initial firings, the perceived recoil was very soft in comparison to other 308 battle rifles, including the AR. Part of this is due to the weight of the bolt carrier. The rifle comes equipped with a very effective muzzle brake from PWS which also takes the edge off the recoil impulse. The flip side to this is the Mk 17S is LOUD. Not double hearing protection loud, mind, but louder than a .308 AR.

As I said at the top, the trigger is nothing to write home about. It's a tad bit heavier than a stock M4 trigger, but it has a good trigger reset. Down the road as I learn more about the inner workings of the rifle, I may replace it with something better.

Pic of the recoil spring, firing pin and charging handle.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the rifle. The hard part so far is figuring out what sort of optic to go with. The rifle is very flexible and could serve any number of purposes depending on the needs of the user.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83, Siscowet
10 years 1 month ago #36233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

:thumbs: nice write up and purchase Leb. When looking for the next 308 addition, it's nice to have an assessment from someone as experienced and knowledgeable as you are. I am thinking of selling some of my black rifles and downsizing to just two. This is a prime candidate for an all around 308. Being left handed I would move the charging handle to the right anyway.
10 years 1 month ago #36235

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

Great write up Leb! I thought I was pretty set on a P716 for a light weight 7.62x51 but the SCAR may just be another option for me. When you say the prices are coming down how down have they come?
Street price for the P716 are floating around the $1700-$1800 range with Magpul mags being a good pick for the money.
I've got plenty of time to think as I'm still spending on kit and mods for the MK25, seems to take as much for that as the weapon costs to begin with but good kit is a must!
Speaking of kit, is there much available out there for the SCAR?
Thanks again for the pics and the write-up :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 1 month ago #36236

Replied by LebbenB on topic FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

A year ago, the Mk17S would sell for $3200-3400 for black and $3600 for FDE.

When I bought mine at the beginning of the year, it was $2600 OTD. Now, they can be had for $2200-2600, though FDE versions run a little higher since fewer of them are made.
Small, but growing. Replacement fire control housings, triggers, angled CH's and rail extensions are all commonly available right. As AR-centric as most of us are, it made me realize just how broad and deep the AR aftermarket is.

I thought I had put a pic of the bolt carrier in with the initial write up. Apparently, I shouldn't think too often. Here it is:

And an obligatory cheese shot:

Pistol is an FNX45, Knife is a 5.11 Karambit folder.

And seeing this pic reminds me of the ONE thing I don't like about the Mk17S - Sling mounts. FN chose to use hooks versus QD sockets. If you have a sling with HK-style mash hooks, you're golden. If you prefer to use the more efficient QD swivels, you're TSOL. Some folks I've seen use wire snap links for their slings while others simply girth hitch a bit of 550 cord through the eyelets.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by LebbenB.
10 years 1 month ago #36240

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

Very nice, my buddy loves his...
10 years 1 month ago #36247

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic FN Mk 17S SCAR-H

Leb thanks for sharing. Look forward to more on this rifle. It will be interesting to see what it likes and why.
10 years 1 month ago #36252

I've got about 1000 rounds down the pipe, everything from 147 gr M80 Ball up to 175 gr FGMM. The rifle has eaten it all without failure. The barrel has a 1:12 twist, so it definitely prefers the heavy stuff. My best results have come with 168 gr OTM bullets from Sierra and Nosler.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 1 month ago #36281

Leb - What kind of group size are you getting , and what can you compare the recoil impulse to. Also how's the aftermarket stuff you are finding. And how is it to clean. Thanks
10 years 1 month ago #36337

Depends on the ammo. With surplus M80 and equivalent ammo, it'll shoot 1.5 - 2.0. But it really shines with the heavier stuff, 168s and 175s. Mine definitely prefers 168gr OTMs

Three rounds at 100 yds shot off of a bipod and bunny bag to stabilize the toe of the stock. The caveat with this pic is that it was an UNCOMMONLY calm day for SW Oklahoma. It was a zero value wind at 0-3 MPH. Load was a 168gr SMK over 42.2 gr of IMR 4895 and a COL of 2.8".

Recoil impulse, IMO, is somewhere between a hot 5.56 load and a .308 AR.
RLTW
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by LebbenB.
10 years 1 month ago #36338

Nice shooting Leb. I know what you mean about the wind. I stayed in OC OK for 9 months or so back in 1990,I got tired of that wind real quick. I liked the idea of being able to see pretty much 20 miles in any direction though.
10 years 1 month ago #36340

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!