Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

• Thank you received: 1

AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions was created by 30CalFun

I am looking at putting back up iron sights on my AR 10 SASS. It is currently scoped and I though I would add some iron sights to the rails. I have looked at the Knights Armament sights, Magpul sights, Troy Industries sights, and Diamondhead sights. Could anybody provide any info, pro's, con's, insights, anything into putting iron sights on my rifle. I know they make thin posts, thick posts, small peep sight holes, bit holes, flip down, stationary, etc. Thanks in advance for the help.
10 years 1 month ago #36480

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

I run the MagPul and while I have never used them I bought them due to the positive things I heard when I asked about them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: 30CalFun
10 years 1 month ago #36481

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

Might want to take a look at these from MWI Quality gear :thumbs:
www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_ID=363
I mounted mine at 45Deg and dam can't find the pix, If your interested in this kind of setup I'll take some new ones and post them up for ya.
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #36488

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

All the brands you mention make quality sight sets. You can't go wrong with any of them. So really it boils down to your personal preference and pocket book.
RLTW
10 years 1 month ago #36499

Replied by 30CalFun on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

Thanks for the link. I appreciate the offer for the pictures, but I probably don't need them. There is a local shop with a good selection. I will probably go in with the rifle and see how different sights fit regarding profile, etc.
10 years 1 month ago #36510

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

I put mine on a 45 degree offset, this combined with the canting Harris bipod makes bringing the sites to bear very easy even from the prone position. I use them for anything inside 50-60m during a competition, they are worth it. If you are competing and don't have them you are paying a time penalty. I am also better offhand inside 100m when engaging multiple silhouettes with the offset sites than a scope. I mounted them to the rear of my scope mount and all the way forward on my quad rail, giving me a 18" site radius ( ie accuracy). If I purchase another set I am going with the Diamondhead brand. But I think this year I may go to a small 45 offset red dot.
10 years 1 month ago #36511

Replied by 30CalFun on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

On second thought, would you mind sending me the pic's you have with the sights mounted at a 45 degree cant. I don't understand what it would look like. Also, what are the advantages to the cant? Thanks
10 years 1 month ago #36542

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Wizard509 on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

I have Dueck Defense "Rapid Transition" sights on my Stag 6.8 SPC and like them enough that I have purchased a set with Trijicon inserts for my SuperSASS.

Dueck Defense: www.dueckdefense.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp
The following user(s) said Thank You: 30CalFun, jtallen83, Libertarian623
10 years 1 month ago #36543

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

Wizard - I had not seen the high vis insert ones yet that is great. I may have to buy some.

30 Cal - The advantage is you don't have to pull your scope to engage (rapidly) targets that present themselves close to you. For instance in the last shoot of the summer last year we had to engage(from inside a van drivers seat) two car loads of hostages and tangos at 150m, only head shots counted. Each car had three tango and three good guys, you had to shoot all six bad guys before exiting the van only to reengage from the front of the van over the hood all six targets again, then charge down a alley and engage three tangos CQB from 20m or less through different openings in buildings (in the shade) then transistion back to long range and engage the one that got away a 3" steel disc at 180m. All for time, I did really well total time was 1:05 and only missed the 180m shot with no penalties. I owe that to the rapid transition sites, I had the fastest time of the day. One other guy shot it clean but a lot slower. Like 40 seconds slower. I think this year I am going to see a lot of rapid transition sites in the competitions.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Libertarian623.
10 years 1 month ago #36544

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Wizard509 on topic AR 10 SASS Back Up Iron Sight Suggestions

I think they are EXTREMELY easy to use.
10 years 1 month ago #36545

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!