Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Hello All

• Thank you received: 22

Hello All was created by MTM

Happy Sunday everyone. Came across this forum while researching the AR10. I just recently assembled the T model and gave it it's shakedown last weekend. Things went fairly well. It fired but had numerous jams. I'm all but sure it was due to some of the reloads not quite fully resized. These were loaded for an FAL and performed flawlessly in that rifle. On the plus side, the AR10 shot very well using loads for a Savage 10. These were new Lapua brass, 178g A-Max and Varget. This is a relatively heavy rifle and all I had was my range bag as a rest. Accuracy at 100 yards was typical of my shaky self. I used a VX-R 3x9x40 scope. Ring height was also an issue so I've since put on a set of Seekins AR Height rings (1.45") and that pretty much put my good eye at the scope's center and also added a bipod. We'll see (I hope) next time.... And that folks is my story for today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
9 years 9 months ago #40818

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Hello All

Welcome MTM and congrats on the rifle. Were the jams on reloads then? If so whatwas the powder load, and were they loaded using small base dies? Also what was the COL? If not reloads what were they?
An AR10T needs about 200 break in rounds .
9 years 9 months ago #40820

Replied by MTM on topic Hello All

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, all the ammo was reloads. Those that jammed were from a batch using 42g of WC846 in mixed headstamps mostly of LCC and WCC. The COL was 2.780 and a SB Forster die was used. As I mentioned earlier, these same loads ran perfect in the FAL all day long. The other loads were from Lapua brass, 40g Varget, and 178g A-MAX. No issues there. I still believe I could do better during the sizing. Nonetheless, this was only a shakedown and not the loads I plan for the AR10. I want to try it with Sierra 155g Matchkings and either Varget or 4895. I prefer to reload on the lighter end rather than pushing it.
9 years 9 months ago #40823

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Hello All

:welcome: I'd get a 100 rounds of M80 ball for break-in, then you'll have a better idea if it was an ammo issue. I'm betting the T has a bit tighter tolerances than the FAL.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTM
9 years 9 months ago #40826

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Hello All

:I-agree:

On new builds I always shoot factory ammo first to eliminate for the most part ammunition issues..... :thumbs:
9 years 9 months ago #40842

Understand the not pushing it. An FAL has an adjustable gas block, which gives you a bit more leeway in your reloads. Even though AR's are generally overgassed, so I doubt it was a gas issue. I am guessing you are right. The AR10T has a precise chamber, I am guessing the FAL probably less so. If the sizing die was not properly adjusted, that would cause a new round not to fully chamber, but it might slip into the FAL chamber. O
9 years 9 months ago #40847

Absolutely, the FAL has a more forgiving chamber. I measured a couple of the cases about 3/8" from the case head versus the same with the Lapua brass. The difference in size averaged about 2 thousandths larger than the Lapua. Still, I will take JTA83's and NightForce's advice and run some commercial stuff through it.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by MTM.
9 years 9 months ago #40860

I have a feeling that once you are reloading brass from that factory ammo that has been fired through your AR10T, this problem will disappear. :thumbs:
9 years 9 months ago #40874

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Hello All

Thank You MTM for the introduction and the range report. Looking forwards to a couple a pics. of Your rifle too.
As stated, use only a " Small Base Die Set " when reloading and make sure that it is properly adjusted.
I have yet to try it, but, I have been picking up some of the Hornady 168gr BTHPs and now have several hundred booolits that I can put into reloads.
I`ve read in the forum that the 168s work very well in these rifles.
I too am wanting a load that will work well in My M1A and also in the Ishapore .308 rifle too. I might be asking too much there but I will try.
Welcome to the forum MTM. :welcome: :cheers:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by MrMarty51.
9 years 9 months ago #40889

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions on the AR10. I'll post a separate result of its next shooting session.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, NightForce
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by MTM.
9 years 9 months ago #40896

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!