Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

• Thank you received: 0

Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene was created by Stargazer

Greetings all - I have only ever shot bolt action rifles (in England) and currently own an SMLE Ishapore 7.62 here in NC. As an engineer by trade I would rather build a rifle instead of just write a check for one.

I am choosing the AR10 simply to keep the same ammunition and because that is what I learned to shoot with.

I have not actively searched this site yet for it but I am looking for schematics, knowledge and resources for this build which I will do with my sons who are just learning to shoot. Thanks in advance for any help!
9 years 8 months ago #41842

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

:welcome: Aboard!

I too find bolt guns surgically accurate and love wringing out its accuracy to the nth degree.

The AR platform allows us to dream small or big depending on our budget. While not as plentiful as the AR15, the AR10 has quite a bit to choose from in the way of components.

Much of my most recent build enjoys products from JP Enterprises. JP offers top shelf components which fit like a glove when assembeled. Here are a few shots of mine.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I use Geissele SA-E triggers in all my AR's....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stargazer
9 years 8 months ago #41843

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Welcome to one of the friendliest forums on the web. Assembling your AR will not only give you that satisfaction of accomplishment but knowledge of how and why the AR functions as it does (you probably know this already).
9 years 8 months ago #41848

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

:welcome: Careful, you can't build just one! ;) Having recently built my first AR lower I'm already planning another build, the virus acts quick, my "illness" started with a "free" lower parts kit that came with a SAA-E trigger. You end up with tools and spare parts that whisper in your ear all the time"build, build, build....".
There is no cure, all you can do is treat the symptoms with ammo and parts...... :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
9 years 8 months ago #41851

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Truer words have never been spoken!
9 years 8 months ago #41852

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Stargazer on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Thanks guys, I am painfully aware of afflictions such as this urge to continue building.... you should see my fishing tackle room. :whistle:

As a minimalist by nature I am not too worried about having a super wide range of add-ons and options, my goal for the first one will be a clean but functional short range piece.

I saw a nice parts list on the Armalite page, is that a good kick off point?

What about special tools?

I have 2 lathes, drills, grinders etc.
9 years 8 months ago #41858

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Here is an Amazon link with some of the special tools required;

www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ar+to...f=pd_sl_41b0j57qmn_b
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 8 months ago #41861

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Are you planning on building from a completed lower receiver or an 80% :unsure:
AKAI
9 years 8 months ago #41880

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Welcome to the forum and the first stage of your journey. Your first choice is going to need to be the 308 AR platform you choose to build on. Unlike AR15's which are almost universally interchangeable as to parts, The 308 AR platforms are not universally interchangable as to all parts. Indeed some manufacturers make more than one line of rifles with some parts not being interchangabile. I suggest doing a lot of studying before making this decision. Generally the two main patterns for a build, are The DPMS standard pattern, and the Armalite "B" pattern. Some other forums go into detail on the differences, and it would be worth your while to study these differences. Both are fine weapons, with some differences. The DPMS seems more popular with from the ground up builders, as a number of aftermarket companies make products that fit it. When buying products don't rely on the "fits AR10" moniker. The AR10 is a trademark of Armalite, but a lot of suppliers use the term as a generic for 308 AR's, which they shouldn't. Ascertain if it fits the DPMS/ SR25 pattern, or the ARmalite AR10 pattern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai, Stargazer
9 years 8 months ago #41881

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Very well put Siscowet when Stargazer said AR-10 I took it that the decision had been made :pinch: But who knows? so many options :banghead:
AKAI
9 years 8 months ago #41882

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!