Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Starting a new custom build

• Thank you received: 0

Starting a new custom build was created by pbogdano

Hello all,
Glad to be on the forum and i look forward to gathering some good knowledge...
I want to build a AR10 for long range, 1000 - a little more. In my area the longest that i have available to shoot s 1000.
My initial thoughts are starting at the barrel. im thinking bartlein or Kreiger or something like that.
Like bolt guns alot of work is centered around the head space and whatnot. is it just as critical in a AR platform? it is as simle and machine working the receiver and barrel as needed?

Thank You and i look forward talking to folks on here...
Paul
9 years 4 months ago #43547

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Starting a new custom build

The build of a AR type rifle is little more than selecting components that work well together , mostly through trial and error. Lots of resources out there for seeing what others have dome for there builds. After that there is very little assembly skills needed. Your components Barrel and Bolt of primary concern. After that it is up to the shooter to develop the proper skill set. Granted there are going to be things that you should ensure along the way that will make getting that accuracy out of the weapon easier. But as I eluded to pick components that work well together. A lot has been talked about the interface between the upper and lower assemblies , some say it doesn't matter, but I would say those people are not worried about getting it to shoot sub MOA groups. Because having a tight lock up between the two makes shooting sub MOA much easier. Infact outside of the attention to the barrel and bolt, taking the slop out of the entire rifle would be the area to focus on most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pbogdano
9 years 4 months ago #43548

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by pbogdano on topic Starting a new custom build

Thanks for the input... I was towing around last night on a build my own or buy complete... I really like the GAP 10 from GA Precision... I just need to see where the totals lands up..

Still have a lot of research and reading to do...
9 years 4 months ago #43564

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!