Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

• Thank you received: 0

Hello everyone help with a rifle budget was created by JBAR10

I joined this group several months ago and have not been a very good member as far as posting and commenting and I do apologize for that I just have a hard to communicating sometimes.
I have read a lot of really good post her.
I do have a big question though, over the last 3 or 4 years my boss has bought me some very nice weapons and has now challenged me with finding a good quality semi auto sniper rifle with a mid quality scope for around $3500 I you had a choice what would you buy. I already have a stock Armalite 10A4F that I was just thinking of decking out all the way and maybe using the rest og the budget for ammo.
Please help I would be really interested in the groups ideas..
9 years 4 months ago #43913

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

At that level of money you can spend $2500 on the gun and $1000 on the scope +/-.

That is a starter, now to answer some questions:
What caliber, what purpose? Answer those two and that will narrow down your gun choice and type of scope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JBAR10
9 years 4 months ago #43914

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

A free float tube, good trigger, and maybe a Magpul PRS stock and the rifle should be up to snuff. That leaves a pretty good budget for optics and ammo. Deciding on optics has been the hardest thing for me,
I just keep buying more ammo and reading scope reviews B)
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43917

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

You just missed a good deal on Armalite Super SASS "B" models. They were closing out at $1899. You could have added a nice $1600 Leopold optic and still have been under budget. My standard AR10A4F is very accurate, If yours is as well, that would not be a bad way to go. Spending the extra money on ammo for practice will make you a better shot and teach you the nuances of that particular rifle.
9 years 4 months ago #43923

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by JBAR10 on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

:blush: Sorry guys I did leave out some important info. I do like the 0.308 and have looked at some .338 This is a gift from my boss to kill off zombies...lol I will probably do some hunting but you donyt get a a lot of long shots here in the south.
9 years 4 months ago #43930

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

If you are thinking the AR10 in 338 Federal, understand that that is the 308 case opened up to .338. What that means is you will get a big, slow moving bullet that will do very well for shorter distances, but will have the ballistic trajectory of a softball out at 500 yards. A friend made the mistake of thinking all 338's are the same. They are not. The 338 Lapua, for instance, is a much larger case carrying more powder, hence more velocity. That is why it shines at distance. The AR10 in .338 Federal would do fine for short distance hunting of things like big hogs. Just don't expect 1000 yard shots with it. Unless you really need the bigger bullets, the 308 will do just about as much as the 338 Federal, but better at longer ranges.
9 years 4 months ago #43931

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

Any choice of rds beyond .300 Win Mag needs to be justified. Sure I would love a .338 or .300, .375 H&H. Be cool, not sure what I would do with it. There is very little the .270-7.62 will not drop with the first rd downrange. After all the goal is to kill it, not to blast it off the face of the planet.

Of all the gun owners I know and have known I only have a very few friends who who have the 'African' calibers and USE them...NOT saying there is anything wrong with hanging one on the wall. I did order a .375 H&H, Ruger No. 1 for my planned African hunt.

I would stay with the .308, it has some good flexibility from Hog to deer of all sizes, got the range you need to reach out across a farm and pick off game at the wood line.

If you see any Zombies let us know...
9 years 4 months ago #43932

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Bear on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

I recently bought a Weaver 4x20 50mm tactical scope for my Armalite in 300 Rem SAUM. The glass is very nice, you can reset to zero after sighting in and the turrets can be locked. It is under $800. The glass is from Japan, not China. No illuminated reticle, straight mil dot. They are available with 1/4" or 1/10 mil adjustment steps for a bit more.

My understanding is that the 10T lower has more trigger work. I put a Timney AR10 trigger on the Ultra, the other two are standard 10T lowers.

The PRS stock is nice, I have one on a modified early 24" AR10T, but also quite heavy. I just built a complete upper with a 16" barrel and free floating handguard for a light weight hog gun, it has a collapsible stock.
9 years 4 months ago #43989

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Bear on topic Hello everyone help with a rifle budget

I asked Armalite about a .338 barrel. They have none in stock and have none on the production schedule for 2015. I think if it is a new AR10, it will have to be .308. Not bad with all the surplus .308 ammo available and great selection of factory ammo. Hornady match ammo for target works well in my .308s. I found surplus Hornady TAP 165 grain ammo for under $25 a box.

Enjoy the rifle.
9 years 4 months ago #43990

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!