Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Armalite AR-10T Help!

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite AR-10T Help! was created by charliewalker07

Just bought a slightly used Armalite Ar-10t from a gunshow. I took it out to shoot and its having trouble loading shells. The gun isnt dirty and theres no defects that i can see. Sometimes it wont eject but for the most part I just have to maunually load the next round. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
8 years 11 months ago #45114

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

:welcome: Sorry to hear your having issues. Maybe a few more questions and we can start helping diagnose the problem.
What type of ammo?
Did you break the weapon down and give it a good cleaning yourself or did it come clean?
When you say manually load does that mean from the magazine or are you putting the round into the chamber?
Not knowing the round count you may want to put a spring package in it-extractor, ejector, buffer........
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 11 months ago #45115

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

Welcome,
1. If you have more than one magazine, try the second one. Also, is it an "A" or a "B" model? Defective magazines are the most common cause For failure to feed.
2. Any marks, dents, or gouges on the ejected cases? Any scrapes on the case in the magazine falling to load into the breech?
3. Is it a stock Armalite fixed gas block? If it is, I doubt that is the issue. If it is after market, that might be a problem.
4. Is the buffer assembly the stock Armalite? It sounds like your BCG is not traveling fully out of battery. Either from too much buffer resistance, not enough gas reaching the BCG to fully cycle, or friction on the BCG from tight tolerances. Lubing the dickens out of the BCG and shooting 50-75 rounds would solve the last problem, which actually is fairly common with new AR's, especially ones built to tight tolerances like the AR10T.
5. Last, what ammo are you using? Whatever it is, try something else, particularly if it is almost new. It takes about 200 rounds to break in an AR10T. I suggest M-80 147 grain as a minimum, and even better, something around 168-175 grain. That is what it was designed for.
If none of these work, contact Armalite tech support. It might be a something like a misaligned gas port with the gas block, which is something they should take care of.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Siscowet.
8 years 11 months ago #45117

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

Here is a handy tech note on malfunctions from ArmaLite;

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/201...0REV%200%20_I-4_.pdf
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 11 months ago #45118

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

Oil me baby. If we could just have people dip the upper and lower receivers it would solve a lot of problems. You really don't have a definitive number (round count) when you buy used. It may have less than 20 rounds through it. If that's the case copious lube would be on order. Along with a total breakdown and cleaning ( a must for any weapon you are new to) Then the answering of the diagnostic questions will be important. Sisco did a good job outlining the frequent causes of problems. Anyway we are here, lets get to it. Summer is wasting away as we speak.
8 years 11 months ago #45119

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by charliewalker07 on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

Thanks for the tips! The gun is pretty clean but dry. I'll get some oil and lube it up, then take it out this weekend. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it works!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by charliewalker07.
8 years 10 months ago #45127

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

Good luck. The troubleshooting :wave: sequence I would try would be:
1. Lube it up good, I mean really sloppy with a good oil or grease especially the bolt carrier group and try 40 rounds.
2. If still having problems, change ammo and try a different weight and cartridge manufacturer.
3. If persists, try a new magazine.
4. If it persists, try hand cycling a whole magazine to see if cartridges properly load and eject by hand. Inspect the bolt for any obvious wear marks or anything like that.
5. If it persists, start thinking Armalite tech support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Siscowet.
8 years 10 months ago #45134

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10T Help!

When you have any issue with a weapon, be it new, used but new to you and it 'never did this before' always think "basics', look for the simple solution, like other have said: Lube, mag, clean, ammo (in no order as each should be looked at every time you go to shoot.

Most of the time one or or some of those will raise its ugly head as the issue to be mitigated. All to often not matter the problem folks seem to want the most complex answer to the simplest problem.

Computer acting up: REBOOT, works in over 60% of all cases.

My daddy taught me at a rather young age when I could not get the old Ford tractor started one day. He said son there are only 3 things that can go wrong: Fuel, electrical, mechanical. Are you getting fuel, too much, not enough, Spark plugs sparking, does it sound like something mechanical is broken? Now go out there and fix that tractor. I did, float was stuck on the carb. That approach has saved my bacon a lot of times in life.

Especially beneficial for me, I am not a smart man, I am Infantry...
8 years 10 months ago #45180

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!