Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Backup iron sights. Again!

• Thank you received: 41

Backup iron sights. Again! was created by Charlie

I thought I had the backup iron sight issue sussed, and even went so far as to put a set of Magpul Pros in the shopping cart. Then I got cold feet and trotted out to the shop, got my carpenter level, and set it on the receiver rail of my A4BF. Guess what? The gas block is lower than the receiver rail by a good bit (it looked like about 1/2 inch).

A quick review of the old A4BF web page reveals; "Top of gas block is .398 (+/- .010) lower than top of receiver".

A review of the old A4BNMF web page does not produce information on the height of the gas block. I'm guessing it's the same as the A4BF because both will use the same Armalite detachable carry handle/front post sight set.

An email to Magpul verified that the Mbus Pro sights are "in the same plane". I take this to mean that the receiver and gas block rails need to be the same height.

What do I do now?
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRA
8 years 9 months ago #45565

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Backup iron sights. Again!

Couple options;

yhm.net/gas-block-riser.html

^I think Sisco went this route so maybe he can elaborate.

Then there is always the trusty MI option;

www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_ID=192
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRA
8 years 9 months ago #45566

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Backup iron sights. Again!

I'm TheI ran into a problem with the Yankee Hill Machinery adapter on my AR10 T carbine. I was using 45 degree offset BUIS and the recoil consistently would force the adapter up, at a 35 degree angle, making the sights useless. I have since decided to remove the 45 degree BUIS and am contemplating my next move.
By the time of all the screwing around, I would just get the Midwest industries front sight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Siscowet.
8 years 9 months ago #45567

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Backup iron sights. Again!

Sisco, Do you think it would have had the same issue with a regular same plane sight instead of the offset?
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 9 months ago #45568

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by GRA on topic Backup iron sights. Again!

This is the option I pursued on my DEF-10. As soon as I get out to the range I'll get back here and report on how it worked. I bought the flip-up rear sight offered by MI, and this special height flip-up front sight.

Although I have not measured yet with a caliper, it appears there still may be some discrepancy with the proper front sight height. This may be correctable with some of the KNS sight posts that are made to correct such issues.

One other option, if I may suggest, is if you have the lower gas block you may be able to swap this out for another gas block that sits higher and matches the proper height / same-plane.

A check with JSE surplus might produce such an item: www.jsesurplus.com
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by GRA.
8 years 9 months ago #45569

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Backup iron sights. Again!

I really don't know. Guessing a fifty-fifty chance it would. I may mess around with a standard flip up I have to see what would happen.
8 years 9 months ago #45570

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!