Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel

• Thank you received: 0

Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel was created by ncbruce

I was recently asked to start long range shooting (up to 1,000 yards) by a good friend. I am fairly knowledgeable with shotguns and 1911's, but clueless as far as this goes. I have read a lot of your forum talk and figure this might be a good place to get some good input. Here's the short story. I am in my late fifties, so I told him - Why not. Traded one of my 1911's for an Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel, exc. cond. Is there a scope that would allow me to deer and pig hunt (300 yds. or so) and also be able to shoot out to longer ranges? Does this 24" barrel affect and of the usual guidelines for selecting a scope? Read a little about the IOR Valdala Tactical and SWFA Super Sniper. Fixed vs. adjustable magnification? Please give your input, and thanks.
8 years 4 months ago #46913

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel

:welcome:
Sounds like a variable power would be in order if your going from 300 to 1,000. There are lots of choices out there, price range would be your first decision. The 24 inch barrel shouldn't make any difference in scope selection with the rages you are talking about.
Here is a good comparison article that gets pretty in depth, a good read if your investing serious money!
precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/01/tactic...test-results-part-1/
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 4 months ago #46914

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel

A good quality variable would be my choice. Do some homework and see what may work best for you. The high magnification scopes can intensify the heat mirage a great deal. Would not want higher than a 20x
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46916

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel

If your looking to go to a thousand and beyond you will need a mount with 20MOA of slope built in. Lucky for you there are several packages from major scope manufactures built just for that purpose. Here's the one I use www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-produc...ProductTabs-Overview
8 years 4 months ago #46937

I got a 20 MOA ADM mount with a Primary Arms 4x16 demo scope I bought, returns to zero like advertised. Doubt I utilize the distance available but you never know.
www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/628/
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 4 months ago #46938

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope for Armalite AR-10T with 24" SS barrel

Very nice JT, I think that will go on my next. Or when I change out the Nikon.
8 years 4 months ago #46946

The only problem with that mount is it is not a cantilever design. This style can leave some shooters with a lack of real estate, hindering eye relief.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46949

Very true, there is no room for back up irons with this mount on my AR-10, the PA scope is a lengthy one but any shorter and I may have issues. ADM has some pretty in depth measurements listed so a person should be able to work out if it will fit their purpose.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 4 months ago #46951

True.......the Spuhr mount has 20 degrees built into it. Decided to stick with it and the Leupy
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46965

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!