Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

AR-10 (T) barrel OD question

• Thank you received: 1

AR-10 (T) barrel OD question was created by grizgrin

Total newb question, and I mean it sincerely.

I did some searches for the OD of the (T) barrel, specifically interested in the barrel forward of the gas block. I am interested in threading mine. I have seen it stated here in an excellent post (by Sharkey, I think?) That the -10 OD is 5/8", however I do not know if that is the same for the -(T).

Anyone know, or willing to measure theirs and get back to me? I am travelling and trying to line up parts for delivery to my home while I am away for a few weeks.

Thank you for the information on this site.
7 years 9 months ago #47618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR-10 (T) barrel OD question

I'm not sure it matters what the OD is before threading. If you are going to thread it to accept 30 cal muzzle devices then it will need 5/8 x 24 threads. Pretty sure the OD befor the muzzle is .700 to .730 on a standard 10 and .850 on a T but I don't have a T to measure myself. There is a good chance of differences even within the same model numbers due to changes in suppliers.
Unless you are doing the work yourself I would recommend ADCO, great work, fast turnaround, and a very reasonable rate;

www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_q...e=Barrel%20Threading
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, grizgrin
7 years 9 months ago #47619

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR-10 (T) barrel OD question

My suggestion is to call or email Armalite tech support with your rifle serial number. They could provide the answer especially if there are discrepancies over time between rifle lots as to the diameter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
7 years 9 months ago #47620

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR-10 (T) barrel OD question

When I wanted to get the end of the barrel threaded on My AR10.
I got a muzzle break from Armalite for fifteen bucks, on sale, closeout I think.
I took the rifle to a friend that has a lathe, He dismounted the barrel and chucked it into the lathe then trimmed what was necessary to be sure it was all true. He then set up the lathe for cutting threads.
Turned out very nice.
The muzzle break has a set screw but even so, He cut the threads so that the break bottomed against the shoulder that He cut into the barrel, set screw, with a very short plug of bronze welding rod dropped into the set screw hole to keep from damaging the threads, was then tightened down so that the break could not come un~Screwed.
That really made that rifle into a very tame shooter.
I would take the rifle to a known very good smith then have the smith measure the end of the barrel to be sure that there is enough meat there for trimming and threading.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
7 years 9 months ago #47623

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!