Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

I have a question....

• Thank you received: 0

I have a question.... was created by QUIKBIKES4ME

Maybe someone knows this. I need a real answer and not speculation or what someones heard...

Do any of these AR10 platforms shoot and cycle military and commercial ammo??

7.62 and .308?

Thanx for any help I can get in this matter..
15 years 9 months ago #162

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:I have a question....

I've never had a problem shooting .308 in Armalite Mags.
15 years 9 months ago #163

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by QUIKBIKES4ME on topic Re:I have a question....

What about shooting military 7.62?
15 years 8 months ago #174

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:I have a question....

My original Armalite AR-10 made back in the 1960s used both commercial 308 and 7.62 Nato ammo without a hitch. That seems to be the case for newer production Armalites too, but this is second-hand info I acquired and was the reason I did not respond earlier to your question since you are looking for specific firsthand info.

I suggest emailing Armalite direct with your question. They are prompt in returning emails in my experience and will give you a straight answer.

Btw, even though my info is secondhand I do consider it reliable and is part of the reason why I am set to go with Armalite for my first 2 AR-10 purchases. Previously I was leaning toward Noveske's N6 AR-10, but they are very clear about it may not cycling commercial 308 ammo reliably according to their website. That fact along with them not responding to my email questions regarding their N6 model made up my mind to go with Armalite instead. Price was not a factor.

P.S. I went ahead and emailed Armalite with your question along with another one I had for them. Will keep you posted.
15 years 8 months ago #175

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:I have a question....

Technote 20 in their library talks some about ammunition.

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tec...acy%20of%20AR10B%20R
15 years 8 months ago #178

I heard back from Armalite's tech support staff and they said that all their AR-10s will feed and cycle all quality 308 commercial or 7.62 Nato ammo reliably. No surprise there at all for me, but what really surprised me was that they stated that their AR-10s are all chambered
as 7.62 NATO instead of .308 Winchester. For some reason I had assumed it was the latter.

I personally think the hubbub about 223 vs. 5.56 or 308 vs. 7.62 chamberings are way overplayed on gun boards. I've been mixing those calibers through many different semi and full-auto weapons for decades now without a hitch. Perhaps when precision shooting comes into play, especially with the 223/5.56 rifles, some consideration on the chambering level may be needed, but probably only then.
15 years 8 months ago #183

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:I have a question....

From what I've read, the biggest concern is with older/surplus rifles. Current production US rifles are more likely to be bred for operation with both flavors.

Armalite Tech Note 11: www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tec...adspace%20020328.pdf

Talks about their view of headspace on their rifles, generally they key concern between .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO
15 years 8 months ago #184

Here's a good article that goes into the 7.62/308 subject matter in some detail.
www.frfrogspad.com/miscelld.htm#same%20round

Damn link above want work so go here and click on the appropriate article from the list.
www.frfrogspad.com/miscelld.htm

Here's another link that is an excellent overview on the 308 cartridge.

www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html
15 years 8 months ago #185

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!