Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

new kid in town.

• Thank you received: 0

new kid in town. was created by umaggb

Hi I've recently begun looking at .308 self loaders. Looking for the best fit for accuracy, reliability and price. Tell me if you will, about all things AR 10. Other info from people who also own M1A's, Fal's etc. please compare and contrast. I feel better about a purchase if I have done due diligence before plunking down the cash. Thanks, Bob
14 years 8 months ago #1881

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:new kid in town.

Hi and welcome to the site.
I personally don't have alot of experience with the M-1A but I do know that they are much heavier than the AR-10, they are more durable in some ways but you are limited to the extent that you can customize them unless you go with the SOCOM and about 2 to 2.5K. On the AR-10 platform, whether it is an ArmaLite or one of the other brands you have more options to add accessories. As far as shooting between the types, some would say the M-1A is more accurate, but that is a matter of opinion I guess. This is somewhat vague as to your questions, I would say read the reviews on each and go from there. I hope I have been of some help in your quest for knowledge about the .308s
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 8 months ago #1890

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by umaggb on topic Re:new kid in town.

Looking at the DPMS offerings in Shotgun News. I found a 24 in. fluted stainless heavy barrel AR10 with an A3 upper, 2 mags, sling and cleaning kit for less than $1000.

I shoot from the prone position with the military sling wrapped tight on the bicep for accuracy and stability.
These rifles all had wood stocks. Will a sling pull any flex into the barrel of the AR 10 with this technique?
14 years 8 months ago #1892

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:new kid in town.

As for the DPMS, I have heard issues on both sides of that coin, both good and bad, there is one or two guys on the site that have experience with them. I would suggest Rock River Arms if you don't want to go with ArmaLite, of course ArmaLite is more expensive but they are a quality weapon.
The stress on the barrel, any time you put torque on the barrel you can alter the trajectory, hey if you can bend a barrel you don't need a gun.........CHUCKLE... I would say it depends on where you have your sling mounted, it it on the gas block then I would say there might be a chance, if the sling is mounted to the fore-arm on a railed hand guard, then it would be less, personally I use a bi-pod, but then again I am not a sharp shooter or comp shooter. AS you said the other rifles have a solid wood stock so, if you want that kind of accuracy then I would look into a Free-Float railed hand guard to lessen the possibility of any interference on the shot.
I know of some one that can give you more info than I, he shoots both, I will let him know about your question.
Again welcome to the site and good luck with your choices;

BMS.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 8 months ago #1897

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:new kid in town.

Just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. So you'll need to ask yourself what do you really want. If all you want is good accuracy and all you'll be doing is shooting prone, then a nice free floated, bull barrel, gun will work.

DPMS has a great reputation for accurate guns. I had one long ago and it was a tack driver, but I had other issues with it and got rid of it. My Long Range shooting partner uses a 24" DPMS in some shoots and he does very well with it.

Currently I have a Rock River LAR-8 Varmint that is shooting extremely well also, with no other issues.

If you want a seriously accurate semi, you might look into having a custom built gun or upper from some reputable gunsmith's, like GA Precision. Of course this will run you up to $2000 or more, but you'll get a rifle that you can count on.

As for shooting with a sling, get a rifle with a free float tube, thus your sling will never touch the barrel.
14 years 8 months ago #1898

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!