Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

New from GA

• Thank you received: 0

New from GA was created by Ken1961

Hi all. I'm very new to the AR platform. And I'm honestly confused by the different designations I see.

Such as: Ar-10xx

how do I know which platform I have and what do the different "xx"s mean? Is there a thread here for this?

Thanks,
15 years 6 months ago #393

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:New from GA

Welcome, and here's some acronyms I can help with.
AR stands for "Armalite" but tends to get used to refer to any rifles with similar heritage to the Stoner design. Armalite discourages this, as they don't want issues with other platforms to be confered on their product line. I understand where they are coming from, but I don't expect it will change many peoples habit of using AR in a generic sense.

AR-10 is generally a 7.62 NATO/.308 WIN design, although there are variants

AR-10T is Armalite's deisgnation for their "target" version of the rifle, built with higher accuracy in mind. They have match barrels and triggers, and are generally Armalite's top of the line AR-10.

AR-10 Super SASS is Armalite's "Semi Automatic Sniper System" design they developed for competition for the XM110 rifle, that was eventually won by Knights Armament Corp. The main feature the SASS has different from the T, is the free float aluminum quad rail, magpul "precision rifle stock", and amongst other goodies, an adjustable gas system that allows quick change between suppressed and unsuppressed operation.

AR-10 A2 refers to the classic hand rail over the upper reciever, A4 refers to a flat top with rail. C is Armalite's designation for carbine, generally a 16" version. So an AR10A4C would be an Armalite AR-10 with the flat top rail, in a shorter length.

Now as to the notation of the various other companies, there's a section on the forums for each major manufacturer, you might find more info there. Hope that helps.
15 years 5 months ago #424

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:New from GA

and all I can add is welcome
15 years 5 months ago #425

Replied by Ken1961 on topic Re:New from GA

Thanks guys,

the anacronyms are a big help and the welcome is always nice.

Ken
15 years 5 months ago #431

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:New from GA

crux wrote:
Good post crux!
And welcome Ken1961!
15 years 5 months ago #433

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!