Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Just bought an Armalite AR10B

• Thank you received: 4

Just bought an Armalite AR10B was created by Hank in Arkansas

This is my first post; just joined. Yesterday I bought an Armalite AR10B (Sudanese model, I guess). Decided with the recent election, time to get my first AR. I've been a dedicated M14/M1A guy since Army days (pre M16). Never liked the mouse gun. So when I went shopping for an AR, I immediately grabbed the AR10B I found in a local shop. It's contempory to my M1A (historically, that is, as both are modern production). Also, both are 7.62mm. I'm keeping both the AR10B and the M1A (national match model) "clean", that is, original iron sights. I have plenty of scoped guns, so I want a couple to play with using iron sights. I bought a total of 4 mags for the new gun (2 came with it, added 2 more). I can't wait to see how the 2 rifles stack up in terms of accuracy and reliability. I reload, and also have lots of ball ammo on hand (Venezualan and So African).

Does anyone know the best way to convert M14 GI mags? Send them to Armalite or maybe some custom gunsmith? I have a bunch on hand. I'd prefer modification that would allow use in both rifles.

I'm sure glad I bought it. As of today, ARs are just about extinct on Arkansas dealers' shelves.
15 years 6 months ago #524

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

yeah they are VERY HARD to come by here in Indiana as well. but luckly my buddy found one. i kinda new all of this was gonna happen so i bought mine back in may.
15 years 6 months ago #525

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

Welcome! When I bought my AR-10 I had to order it and wait 10-weeks for it to come in. Looks like those times might be coming back around.

-M
15 years 6 months ago #526

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

Hank,

Congrats on your new AR. Great rifles. My first was an AR-10 custom done by G.A. Precison and I like it.
As to magazines...Armalite no longer sells conversion kits or modifies mags. They do have 5, 10, 20, and 25 round mags, but last I checked they are out of stock on the 20 & 25 rounders.
M-14 20 round mags CAN be modified to work fairly easily, but will not activate the bolt hold open feature. Still, you'll have 20 round mags and I doubt anyone is going to be standing about while you do a mag change at that point...;-)

Wes
15 years 6 months ago #527

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

Welcome.

Armalite's Technote 7 discusses AR10B and M14 Magazines

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tec...0AR10B%20Rifles%2003
15 years 6 months ago #528

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

Thanks for the links to the Armalite magazine bulletins. I've read similar stuff on other websites. I just checked their web site, and indeed it appears that they're out of 20 and 25 rounders. I've got 3 20's and 1 10 round, so I ordered 3 15 round mags. That should hold me for awhile. In local gun shops, even AR15 mags have virtually disappeared. For my other mag fed guns, I have lots of mags purchased before the last ban went into effect.
15 years 6 months ago #531

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

The mags are pretty simple to convert, just use the plastic followers not the aluminum. I just did one
a while back and I was not amused. A pair of dial calipers , your mags to measure off of and some
2 inch masking tape for template making is all it takes other than a drill and files. As far as duel usage,
maybe, but for sure you will need to change springs and followers. And I think the hold open cut may
make it disfunctional in an m14
15 years 5 months ago #537

15 years 5 months ago #538

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Just bought an Armalite AR10B

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes anyway. Today I took my virgin AR10B out to the range for a get-aquainted. It performed very well. I tested each of my mags (no problems), and all of the various ammo types I had on hand. Remington 150gr SPs shot the most accurately, with 10 rounds going into about 4" @ 100yds (iron sights). CAVIM (Venezualan) and So African ball shot well enough, nearing the Remington results. Sighting in was easy, starting at 25 yards and working up to 100. I tried one batch of handloads that I prepared for another .308, but decided not to fire any. They were once fired cases, and sized with regular dies. Because they chambered with difficulty, I decided my first try with handloads will be using small base dies. I'll report on that later on. None of the factory ammo showed any chambering difficulty. The trigger was a little "creepy" and scratchy, but not too bad. Some of you won't be impressed with my group size, but my eyes aren't what they used to be with receiver sights, and run-of-the-mill ammo normally doesn't give match level results. I was pretty happy with the results. (As an aside, there were 3 guys shooting near me, using 2 bolt actions and one Remington sporter autoloader (not AR). Even with scopes, they couldn't stay on paper at 100yds! One guy NEVER hit the target paper, and made about 50 scope adjustments before simply leaving. It was amazing!)
15 years 5 months ago #572

Try some 168 grain ammo, that and a little trigger time your groups will shrink by 1/2.
15 years 5 months ago #585

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!