Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Howdy

• Thank you received: 0

Howdy was created by Bad Mojo

I'm a big fan of the AR-10 platform; most especially, the AR010(T) which I see as the ultimate 7.62mm battle rifle today. I have a healthy respect for the FN-FAL and won't argue with anyone about its merits; likewise, I won't argue about the merits of the M1A or the HK-91/PSG1 or the SR-25. The bottom line for me; however, is what you call "bang for buck value". The AR-10T with a decent scope mounted on it has the potential to outshoot any of the aforementioned rifles and, in many cases, for a significantly lower cost; for example, the PSG1 is legendary but for all its beauty, reputation, and cost, it is still a 1 MOA rifle. I could buy 4-5 AR-10s that will also put 50 rounds into a 3 inch circle at 300 yards for the price of a single PSG1 and I can change my scope at will too. The PSG1 is stuck with a high quality but underpowered scope. If my scope breaks in the field, I have back up iron sights that I can slap on the receiver in a matter of minutes. Similarly, I can switch between day and night optics at will if I so choose. The AR10T is cheaper, just as accurate and far more useful than the PSG1. I love the HK platform too but bang for buck facts speak for themselves. Arguments can be made about the reliability of the roller lock system versus the gas system of the AR-10; however, as a handloader, I find it necessary to save my brass at the end of the day and the HK-91 roller lock is very hard on spent cartridges. If all I was worried about was putting a nice big 7.62 into a target at 300-500 meters, I might be inclined to overpay for a HK-91. That's not the case though. Bang for buck value again goes to the AR-10T. The FN-FAl may be the finest MBR in the world and its bang for buck value is unquestionable. Again, if all I was looking for was a 7.62 MBR that could reliably hit a 72" x 20" inch target with open sights out to 500 meters, I might be tempted to go with the FN-FAL. I want more than that though. For what it is, the FN-FAL is excellent; however, the AR10T is and does more and it still doesn't cost that much more than an FN-FAL. It seems like the differences are neglibible but when it's time to lay your money down, you want the most value for your money. I can mount a high quality scope onto my AR-10 T and, using high quality reloads, I can engage multiple point targets at and beyond 1,000 meters. The FN-FAL is an area weapon at 1000 meters. At the same time, an AR-10T with a bipod can function as a LMG (albeit, a semi auto LMG). If need be, I can switch to iron sights and use the AR-10T as a standard MBR. It's weight is only .61 pounds more than an FN-FAL too. It's simply more flexible and flexibility is most always preferred in most all matters but especially in weapons and warfare. Increased weapon flexibility translates into increased bang for buck value. The AR-10T wins against the FN-FAL. The vernerable M1A. It's a legend and, as such, it is loved and adored by many, myself included. In the end, the AR-10T seemed like a better value. I was an infantry soldier in the US army for 8 years. I carried an M-16. It is very familiar to me. The similarity between the AR-10 and the M-16 means my familiarity with the M-16 is now, to a large extent, extended to the AR-10. There's something to be said for that and, in the end, it was enough to cause me to buy an AR-10T instead of an M1A. If I was a Korean war veteran, I might have a different opinion on the matter. There were other factors as well. I like the free floated barrel of the AR-10, the availability of components and accesories, and the out of the box accuracy that the AR-10 is known for. So that was the thought process behind my purchase. I'm still breaking in my rifle actually. In practice, the rifle shoots well but, as of yet, I haven't had a chance to work up any handloads for it so I'm not able to attest to its accuracy. I have shot military surplus ammo with itand I was less than impressed. I'm convinced that it was the ammo, however, and not the rifle or the shooter. the same day I shot .25 inch groups at a hundred yards with a bushmaster XM15E2S using a nikon scope and "special" ammo loaded by father. I watched him shoot individual grass blades at about 80 meters with the same rifle and ammo. It is my intention to apply that technology to the 7.62 mm round and see if the AR10 can do the same. I believe it will. I believe that with the proper ammunition, this rifle will consistently kill flies at rest at 100 meters. I am not exaggerating. I don't believe that an HK-91 or an FN-FAL will ever do this with any amount of consistency. OK, that's enough for me today. Thanks for letting me ramble on your web site.
15 years 5 months ago #700

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Howdy

no problem man...i do have to say that is probably the longest thread that i have seen on here. well tell us how your rifle does on the range after you get it dialed in. and also post pictures of your targets and your gun.
15 years 5 months ago #701

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Bad Mojo on topic Re:Howdy

Pic of my rifle

That should link to the picture of my rifle. I thought I would describe at length the thought process behind my purchase of this weapon in case anyone else was struggling with a similar choice. I'm at work now so I can't hang out too long.
15 years 5 months ago #703

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Howdy

I think a lot of people spent a lot of time considering their way to the AR-10. And liking the AR-10 doesn't mean one doesn't like other platforms. As you point out though, the AR-10 is a nice balance between performance, cost, and compatability modern features. Let's face it, new innovations are constantly being developed for the M4/M16 platform, and the AR-10 usually gets to come along for the ride.

Welcome!
15 years 5 months ago #705

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by adminv15 on topic Re:Howdy

Hi Bad Mojo! Welcome to the forum. Shooting still flies is a great motto for the 10T! It is one of the few rifles you can go insect hunting with!
15 years 5 months ago #722

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!