Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

• Thank you received: 41

Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon. was created by Charlie

Sig Arms.

Sig 716.

So far it's only available as a 16" carbine.

UPDATE: I found the SIG 716 Patrol, 7.62X51, 16", Flat Dark Earth at Impact for $1995.00. That's a full $450.00 more than the list price of an AR-10A A4 carbine (it's direct competitor).

I like Sig stuff, but who do they think they are?

UPDATE 2: I found something else.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

So they make an AR-10 style rifle, but it's not on their website. Huh? The "power of a larger carbine" thing kind'a throws me too.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Charlie.
12 years 1 month ago #10861

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

If I want to sacrifice accuracy for dependability (if it has that), I would buy an AK47 or maybe a half a dozen SKS's for that price. As "awesome" as the FN SCAR 17/piston system is... it's 2"-3" @100 yards at best, and with the pencil thin barrel starts throwing them all over the place with heat (though cools fast). Close quarters combat with a round that's too much for close quarters, same with this SIG? I would get an AR15 in AAC Blackout for CQC. I just don't see the "niche" short stroke piston .308 AR type rifles try to fill... especially not at the price. And H&K makes superior weapons than SIG, and that's who SIG I guess is really trying to compete with. I've even heard of reliabilty problems with the short stroke systems, even more sensitive to overpressure than direct gas impingement in some cases. I just don't get it.
12 years 1 month ago #10864

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

Me neither.

+1. You make a lot of good points. The same ones I'm thinking about.

I took a serious look at the SCAR 17. I didn't know it groups 2"-3" at 100 yds. That's crap, and I'm glad it was out of my price range!

I don't see the niche for this weapon either. It boasts a four position gas system, so I guess it needs it :P

Charlie
12 years 1 month ago #10866

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

@SCAR, I'm sure in the right hands, handloads, managed heat, etc., you could get one to shoot 1" groups... but IMO a "sub moa rifle" means you can pop off three rounds in a 1" group consistantly. I don't want to take any heat for hating without qualification on what, in many respects, is a very fine rifle. Certainly the best of the "cutting edge, dirt and water resistant, true modular, light-weight, piston driven, battle rifles" like the ACR and XCR. And I guess it's would have it's role in a combat team in a military situation... but I don't see it for civilians in semi-auto.

I did hear that FN is getting production of barrels here in the states, and because of the barrel import ban, you could not get the heavier weight barrels for the SCAR, but soon these may be available. I will be interested to see how these rifles do at the range on paper. Once the modular functions actually has modular components to change out of all types... the gun may make more sense to me...
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by JeffSavannah.
12 years 1 month ago #10872

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

Odd how the name "SIG" seems to be considered as something magic. SIG America is as Swiss as a hamburger. The solitary connection with SIG (now RUAG) in Switzerland is the fact that a single member of the board of directors in SIG American also happens to be on the board in Switzerland. Nothing more. The SIG America 556 has nothing whatsoever to do with the Swiss SIG 550, 551 or 552. Its far more closely related to the simple AR15.
Anything made in Switzerland must be better because, well....... it's Swiss, right? No. Not right. The USA makes firearms every bit as good as those made in Switzerland. There are a few notable exceptions among which is the Sig-Neuhausen. The only pistol ever built with a 0 FTF%, but truth be told, the US could also mfg. such a pistol.

The highly sought after PE57 sells for $2,800.00 to $7,500.00 here in the US. In Switzerland? The equivalent of $287.00 street value. Politics, idiocy and bans have clouded the judgement of a lot of Americans. I have AR10s that will equal and outperform the stg/PE 57 all week long, and I have both.

Swiss firearms in general are designed and made extremely well. There's nothing in the world that would stop a US mfg from producing the same quality right here.... except cost and marketing. With the entire market flooded with AR15s, 10's and a variety of calibers, low production cost is mandatory. (So they say) We have the ability, just not the desire except a few quality makers.

My Father's company produces firearm accessories that actually sell in Switzerland, of course they're designed for Swiss rifles. We have a distributor there and he's a wealth of information. Real info, not marketing crap. Don't jump at whistles and bells. In .308 semi-autos, Armalite is the real deal.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by zfk55.
12 years 1 month ago #10880

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Guess who else jumped on the .308 AR wagon.

I own a Sig-Sauer P226 (German mfgr) and couldn't be happier with it. And I am seriously coveting a friend's P210 Legend! What I question is the wisdom of making Yet Another AR Style .308 and slapping a $1999.99 (.99.99.99.....) price on it. It makes me think that someone isn't paying attention (or they plan to offer steep discounts to some credulous LE purchasing agents.

Charlie
12 years 1 month ago #10881

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!