Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

• Thank you received: 96

Noreen .338 Lapua (?) was created by txlongshotb4

I'm just curious...What are your opinions of this beast? (copy/paste link below)

www.onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

Does anyone out there know anything about this? I'm not even remotely considering buying one, I am just very curious...A .338 Lapua is a VERY powerful round, and I just can't fathom how anyone could build one on an AR platform.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11294

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

I know zilch, but I've been yearning for a long action AR for some time. 338 Lapua is great! I'd settle for an AR in 30-06 (but prefer something slightly faster).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 2 weeks ago #11305

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

I'm very curious about the mechanics of such a rifle. Obviously it's bolt carrier system is unique to the rifle...it doesn't look like a normal AR type rifle configuration. A .338 Lapua generates tremendous heat and pressure in the chamber, not to mention massive recoil...so the bolt, bolt carrier, buffer and buffer spring, and the whole area around the chamber would have to be beefed up considerably to handle the abuse. This rifle also sports a gas piston system and a 26 inch barrel,and weighs in at 13 pounds.I don't see how they did it. I'd love to get my hands on one and get a look under the hood, see what makes this beast tick. I'd also like to hear some real end user testimonial about how it fares with accuracy as well as holding up after several hundreds of rounds fired-because I could completely see things like sheared bolt lugs,bolt carrier over pressure issues, and extremely short barrel life. I remember in sniper school, we were told that .338 Lapua chambered rifles have a significantly shorter barrel life compared to the .308 due to the increase in chamber pressure and heat. I can't remember the exact round counts, but they had it down to figures.I'm fairly certain that those figures were based on bolt action rifles being fired intermittently, and I can only imagine that firing even remotely close to a rapid string from a semi auto gun would drastically shorten the barrel's lifespan.I could be dead wrong-technology and steel quality is constantly improving, and for all I know this sexy beast could truly be the bee's knees. Having never even been in the same room as the actual rifle, I can't possibly cast stones. These are just my thoughts, and I bring them here because I like to compare my thoughts against the thoughts of other shooters. Anyone else have any insight?
12 years 2 weeks ago #11308

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

I do like the idea, but I'm taking the same position in that I'd want first hand reports, or the chance at kicking the tires myself. .338L has some reach to it, and many fine rifles are out there, but every time I go putting a list together with thoughts of setting myself up, I slide over into the .50's.
I did like the video clips, the muzzle brake appears to work well on a 13lb weapon. Not too sure the barrel has the beef at that profile to do it without stringing shots as it warms up.

I do like the side charging handle. That may be a mod I soon look into as it would allow the use of a real cheek piece.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11313

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by cliff on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

a guy I work with purchased a .338 took it up to his dads ranch last week in Montana. said he was going to spend a few days shooting..he came back to work monday,,,,asked how his range time went, he told me he only fired off 20 rounds,,I said WHAT???..only 20 rounds? then he stated,,the ammo is to expensive,,I told him,,well,,you got yourself one hell of an expensive safe queen...
12 years 1 week ago #11335

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

Looks like $4.00/round on the cheap side. Woah! .50BMG isn't much more!

If I were him I'd be thinking about reloading. And if I had either I'd definitely be reloading!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 1 week ago #11336

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Noreen .338 Lapua (?)

.338L is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. It came into existence when seeking .308 - .50 go between.
It takes real commitment to devote $3.50 - $8.00+ per trigger pull. I personally wouldn't waste it on hunting. A rack grade, sporter weight, rifle is just wasting money, never seeing the real potential. If I were ever to commit to it, I'd be calling GAP or the like.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 1 week ago #11337

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!